1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who keep a 1911 by the bedstand for home defense, do you keep it clocked & locked (one in the chamber) at all times or do you rely on raking the slide when the need arises?

I'm asking this question from a safety viewpoint. On the other hand my carry piece, which is a 1911 Commander is carried cocked & locked.

·
Registered
972 Posts
"I'm asking this question from a safety viewpoint."

I think lowering the hammer (on a chambered round) or going through the act of clearing the round from the chamber every time you put up the gun creates a greater safety hazzard than leaving the gun in the condition you carry it and practice with it. If you're used to drawing the gun, disengaging the safety and firing, you will not be programed to respond with an empty chamber and the hammer down. It's a whole different set of responses.

As always, others will no doubt disagree.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Because I am a parent, and a paranoid one at that, I cannot leave a gun in condition one in my home, even though it stays out of reach, period. I know that's not the popular method but I am 'tuned' to needing to rack the slide, on every gun.

Before I was a parent I carried condition 2 (cause I'm a lefty) also unpopular by the masses here, but there again, it's what I was accustomed to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every night when I go to bed I open the pistol safe on the floor next to bed within arm's reach. I pull out my Kimber Pro Carry and set it on the door of the safe so I can easily grasp it.
Until a few weeks ago I kept it in condition 3, empty chamber. I have been keeping it in condition one, cocked and locked, now.
Whenever I carry it around the house or on my property, ( no concealed carry in my state yet, ) I carry cocked and locked. I also practice drawing and dry firing from condition one so it makes sense to me to leave it in condition one at night next to the bed. I just wonder if the mainspring needs to be replaced more often if it is always in condition one. Probably not would be my guess.

·
Registered
541 Posts
cocked and locked is what the 1911 is built for.........i am very safety minded and i would much rather carry a "cocked/locked" than a d.a. that has one in the pipe!!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
At home, I usually keep the chamber empty because I'm not very saftey minded when I get waken up at the dead of night.

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
If they aren't C&L, they're in the safe or disassembled.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
cocked and locked is what the 1911 is built for

cocked and locked,the way John Moses Browning designed it to be
I know this is pushing the thread slightly off topic, but my impression is that JMB & Colt intended the gun to be carried in Condition 3, largely by cavalry and other Army personnel.

Am I buying into a debunked old wives' tale?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Condition One (Cocked and Locked) is the only way. Just be sure your thumb safety maintains a good positive and crisp "click."

I've noticed that over time many 1911 thumb safeties have a tendency to become a little too easy to switch on or off unintentionally.

DR

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
When a Firestar was my bedside gun I kept it with the safety off and the chamber empty. Now that a Kimber Compact I is there instead it stays C&L.

Before I had no experience with keeping guns C&L but now that I've been carrying my other Kimber (CDP I) for over a month now I'm comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When I do carry a 1911, I keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. I don't feel uneasy carrying cocked and locked, I just don't want to leave the mainspring w/pressure on it all the time. I can have a round in the chamber by the time it comes up to my eyes.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Cocked and Locked for over twenty years - no problems noted as of yet! Tell me again why you need to lower the hammer? The 1911 mainspring is about three times stronger than needs be - "spring set" is not an issue, and I like my ready guns to be "ready", really.

Solution for children or incompetent adults in your life is a Cannon Pistol safe by the bed - push two buttons, then one, and open. Can be bolted to the floor, bedframe, etc.

Only 1911s that are in "storage" are not cocked.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True today than 150 years ago!

·
Registered
369 Posts
The one by the bed is cocked and locked, But the ones in the safe are cocked and locked.
When I was learning to trust it I carried C&L on an empy chamber, if for any reason I thought it was necessary to carry on an empty chamber I would do it that way again that way it would be easier to cock one handed if needed

1 - 20 of 60 Posts