1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, no need to chime in if you carry your 1911.

In my case, I carry a Glock 19 daily. I shoot it well. . . . . . but I shoot my 1911 better!

This may just be a matter of practicing more with the Glock; or leaving the 1911 at home more often. But it is SO easy to shoot my 1911 well.

Clothing and lifestyle in Arizona make it impossible to carry a full size 1911 daily.

Anyone else spoiled by the shootability of their 1911?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I sold my G22 3rd gen (was my carry) after getting my 2nd 1911 since, like you, I found I shoot the 1911's better. I now have 6 different 1911's that I use for carry. 5 are officer frames though, but one is a Bobtailed commander and I wear shorts and t-shirts year round here in Mesa. I have 2 others that are CMDs.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Carrying a full size 1911....

You carry a G-19 which is smaller than a 5" 1911, so why not carrry a 1911 that is roughly the same size as a G-19, such as a Commander or Officers model...?:scratch: Most people shoot a 1911 better because of the better trigger pull....so why not carry the gun you shoot the best....?

I live near Melbourne, Fl, and we have extremely humid and hot weather in the summer.....I have no problem carrying a !911 Commander in .38 super. I have 10+1 in the gun, and a 10 round spare mag on my opposite hip.....I don't feel "undergunned!" :rock:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I recently started a thread about "don't take the j frame to the range along with the 1911", and have decided to sell off the j frame in favor of another...1911!

My CCO 1911, in a TT Gunleather "Mike's Special" holster, carries low and with aggressive forward cant angle, making it SUPER concealable, even under a simple untucked tee shirt. (not an oversized shirt, but my normal size)

Yes, the j frame is SUPER concealable, but not super shootable. At least for me. Especially if I am shooting on the move, under stress, with possible gunfire incoming!!

I've owned and carried most every type of "action" available in firearms, and shoot NONE as well as the 1911.

Would I/Will I ever carry other guns? Most likely, as I love Glock, Sig, S&W, etc....but am currently back in love with 1911!

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Clothing and lifestyle in Arizona make it impossible to carry a full size 1911 daily.

?

they do make aluminum frame mid size (4 and 4 1/4" barrel) 1911s
alloy frame cuts wt substantially

It's not the size that bothers me.
1911s conceal very well...even in shorts and tees
(better than my G19 ever did)

..it's the weight...three pounds of steel and lead is a drag...literally
(and please, no one tell "all you need is a good gun belt and holster)
I'm not a rookie and have the best money can buy

my carry 1911s are alloy frame and weight appx 25oz empty

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
they do make aluminum frame mid size (4 and 4 1/4" barrel) 1911s
alloy frame cuts wt substantially

It's not the size that bothers me.
1911s conceal very well...even in shorts and tees
(better than my G19 ever did)

..it's the weight...three pounds of steel and lead is a drag...literally
(and please, no one tell "all you need is a good gun belt and holster)
I'm not a rookie and have the best money can buy

my carry 1911s are alloy frame and weight appx 25oz empty

..L.T.A.
Totally agree Cappi. I do prefer to carry my full size, but not for every day all day. It's the weight not the size that keeps me from carrying a full size 24/7. I carry it as much as I can, which is pretty often, but for 24/7 carry my Range Officer Compact travels with me these days at 28.5 ozs. Unless of course I'm totally discreet, and then it's my 340PD at 11.4 ozs.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Not really. It's one of the easiest to shoot...but even among my revolvers all I lose with a DA trigger is a little speed.

As I've been carrying a 2" 357 snub lately in the summer, I decided to get a lightweight CCO sized 1911 as another carry option.

I used to be a real trigger snob until I had more shooting experience under my belt. Now they all work fine and I make no excuses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not at all. Carrying a modified CZ75B or PCR there is a bit lost to projectile performance, but a lot gained in capacity, and all shots still go on a paper plate at 20 yards. All being twice as many between reloads.

But, truth be known, the 1911's still get carried a good bit.

I highly recommend shooting what you shoot best (to some large degree, and combining elements of speed and accuracy), for its the first few shots that "probably" count the most.

I "definitely" advise "not" carrying something that cannot be fired accurately by the shooter! Collateral damage is not generally acceptable. Don't let love of a gun or idea get you in a position to do something that you'll regret.

BTW, Full sized weapons are concealed by Floridians daily, every day of the year. Its not that hard if you invest the time and money to find what works well. But it does take time and money, for there is no one answer to the needs of so many physically different people!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The 1911's seem so much thinner than the Glock's no I didn't actually measure them and I don't have one handy. When I started carrying a handgun roughly 35 years ago, one of the reasons I gravitated to the old .45 was it was the easiest to conceal full size handgun available.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I live just east of Dallas. I manage to carry a Commander sized 1911 almost every time I leave the house. Once in a great while I'll carry a Sig P938 when my back hurts so bad I can't handle the 1911 weight.

I wear shorts almost year round and wear "fishing" shirts from Academy or Aloha shirts to cover my weapon. I've recently switched to IWB carry and it makes a huge difference.

For the record I'm 6'3" and 310 lbs.

One of these days I'll get a LW full sized 1911 and that will become my EDC.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I used to carry a G19, IMO it is MUCH easier to conceal a 5" 1911 than a G19. The 1911 is less bulky, more comfortable to me. All that is needed is a good belt. I carry a full size sometimes even during the summer with shorts on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only reason I don't carry my Colt 1911s anymore and carry a Glock 19 is I don't want my 1911s to get trashed while in evidence in the event I ever had to use one in self defense.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only reason I don't carry my Colt 1911s anymore and carry a Glock 19 is I don't want my 1911s to get trashed while in evidence in the event I ever had to use one in self defense.
You gotta survive the encounter first, before worrying about "evidence" rooms!

I know of two local shootings, both deemed self-defense, and in neither case was the shooter required to give up their handgun for evidence.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't carry my 1911's much any more since I got a BHP. It is longer than my Officer's seems to weigh less and the way it carries works for me better. I was one of those that always said "if the 1st number isn't a 4 then it's not for me" I've changed my tune these days, I feel just fine with 14 rounds of Federal Hydra-shok 9mms with me. Kinda funny.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been shooting a lot of HP lately, just add an option when I think I need more. I also have a ported 640 pro in the car every day. That's the one that's been a little under fed lately.
I'm going to have to set some time aside specifically for that.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I live just east of Dallas. I manage to carry a Commander sized 1911 almost every time I leave the house. Once in a great while I'll carry a Sig P938 when my back hurts so bad I can't handle the 1911 weight.

I wear shorts almost year round and wear "fishing" shirts from Academy or Aloha shirts to cover my weapon. I've recently switched to IWB carry and it makes a huge difference.

For the record I'm 6'3" and 310 lbs.

One of these days I'll get a LW full sized 1911 and that will become my EDC.
I live in Dallas and carry a Lightweight Commander. Wear similar style of shirts. I'm a munchkin compared to you, but that carry rig/clothing also works well for me.
A lightweight Commander or CCO would be the 1911 equivalent of the Glock 19. BTDT..

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I shoot a 1911 best and its thin profile is perfect for IWB.

I don't see any reason to carry anything else. There are enough different sizes and configurations of the 1911 on the market so anyone can find one to suit their purposes.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
OP is in the same exact boat I was in. Hell I shoot my SPR better than my 1911 and I don't carry it either.

Mybtime is limited and waffling between my 1911s and real carry pistol was hurting my performance, my confidence, and ultimately my overall competence and effectiveness.

My solution was to train on my carry gun exclusively. In 8 months of this, I'm back where I should be.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Assuming you survive the encounter you're going to have bigger worries than the time your Colt might spend in custody. IMO, you don't compromise on the guns you trust your life to.

OP - If you shoot and handle a 1911 better than any other pistol, find a 1911 that fits your needs and carry it, there's plenty out there to choose from these days.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts