1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rented the bushmaster M4 with mini Y muzzle break at Impact Guns here in Utah, and it shoots much sweeter than expected, but its loud. I dont mean kinda loud, but disturbing, hearing killing loud. Is everyone elses AR15 like that, or is this just common to Bushmaster Carbines. It makes my CAI HK91 sound downright quiet in comparison.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Muzzle brake ups the noise level every time on any weapon I've seen one on.

I'm sure the Bushmaster is no exception.

Get good hearing protection.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
variablebinary said:
Rented the bushmaster M4 with mini Y muzzle break at Impact Guns here in Utah, and it shoots much sweeter than expected, but its loud. I dont mean kinda loud, but disturbing, hearing killing loud. Is everyone elses AR15 like that, or is this just common to Bushmaster Carbines. It makes my CAI HK91 sound downright quiet in comparison.
its the muzzle break...w/o the brake its no louder than your HK91...

·
Registered
660 Posts
The BM Mini Y is the most offensive thing ever created that goes on the end of a barrel. It's not really the gun itself....

Monty

·
Super Moderator
13,423 Posts
mcgrubbs hits the bullseye. The Bushy's Mini Y-comp is the culprit, it is the loudest, with the worst blast/concussion of all the post banned comps. I used to have one, so I know. The carbine was very reliable and accurate, but I got rid of it because of the comp. Now my Rock River with the Wilson comp is much quieter and doesn't have anywhere near the blasts of the Y-comp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Mini Y(and similar brakes) are effective but loud as hell.

A .223 does not need a brake in my opinion. If I couldn't have a flash suppressor, I would go with a Wilson, a Cav Comp, one of KKF's fake FS, or a plain old naked muzzle.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
MiniZ said:
The Mini Y(and similar brakes) are effective but loud as hell.

A .223 does not need a brake in my opinion. If I couldn't have a flash suppressor, I would go with a Wilson, a Cav Comp, one of KKF's fake FS, or a plain old naked muzzle.
how about jp enterprises muzzle brakes?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
the original JP tank style comp works as does the DPMS micleik comp and if you can find one a combat shop jet comp. I've found those work better than the mini Y. they direct the muzzle blast to the sides and it's not that bad for the shooter, but you'll piss off the guy next to you. I keep threatening to bring my ar with the JP comp to our next bench rest match, to see if my muzzle blast will set off those 1 oz. triggers they run. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would like to state my opinion on this once again. I recently had the opportunity to fire a Barrett Model 82A1 .50 BMG semi-automatic rifle. I fired it from the bench from a concrete slab shooting area covered with a tin roof. This rifle as you know has a huge muzzle brake which directs gases and noise back at a 45 degree angle. I fired this rifle myself and I also stood by while several others fired this rifle. I even deliberately placed myself in the path of the redirected forces once just to see how powerful it was. My point is this...it wasn't all that loud. I was wearing plugs and muffs because everyone there was shooting high powered rifles...223, .308, .30-06, and the .50 BMG. I was having so much fun shooting, everybody might as well have been shooting .22 LR. I didn't even notice it. I think some people either don't wear proper hearing protection or they are just too sensitive and need to find another (quieter) sport (like golf or tennis).

·
Registered
953 Posts
I installed a Smith Enterprises brake on my shorty. I doesn't bother me when I shoot but the people beside me don't care much for it. I have heard good things about the Cav Comp from Calvary Arms, in addition to the others mentioned above. I use a red dot sight and the dot jump is much more noticeable without the comp. I helped me speed up my shooting a little, so I like 'em.

Are you still trying out rifles Variable? I had a chance to buy a Daewoo K2 the other day but passed. You might want to check one of those out if you are still looking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree, you should never get a rifle with a break...nothing worse than a broken rifle.

Now as to a brake...well...to each his own.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts