1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search in Gunsmithing and did not find anything. I love the ISMI spring in Glocks, but have never used their springs in a 1911. Anyone tried them?

Neal

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
ISMI springs are probably the best product of that type on the market though I've been satisfied with Wolff springs too.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you go with ISMI springs make sure to check the length. They do make some of them longer so it needs to be cut to the right length.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by kbear38S:
ISMI springs are probably the best product of that type on the market though I've been satisfied with Wolff springs too.
Can you tell me why you think they are the best?

Neal

·
Registered
215 Posts
I decided to try the ISMI springs in my 1911 guns. I have an SDM fabricating spring tester(can be bought thru Brownells) that I use to test my 1911 springs. I tested about 4 new ISMI springs and found them to be very inconsistent with respect to spring tension at normal compressed length and also at full compressed length. The ISMI springs also needed to be shortened slightly because they were all about one or two coils too long at full compression.If you use a shock buffer, they most always need to be shortened. Springs rated at 18 lbs. actually tested more like 11 and 12 lbs. I returned them and got ISMI 20 lbs. springs. I tested these and they barely tested at 18 lbs. I decided to not use ISMI any more based on the fact that you just have no idea what the spring rate of the spring actually is straight out of the bag unless you test it, and there is also no way of knowing if the spring is too long unless you test for this as well.
On the other hand, I have done the same test with dozens of Wolff springs and they all tested very uniform and they come in the correct length without having to be shortened. This I feel I can count on without checking them every time I buy one.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, now we have 2 opposing opinions. FWIW, a well known pistolsmith reported the same thing about testing them and finding they were not nearly the poundage? they were supposed to be. At least I think thats what he said. I was hoping it was an isolated incident. This is puzzleing because I have the ISMI springs in 2 Glocks and really love them. In the Glocks, I would not go back to Wolffs, even if they were free. Been there, done that. Of course, in fairness, I should say the ISMI Glock springs are flat wire, and the Wolff Glock springs are round wire, and they are different animals. Back to the 1911 springs, I don't have a spring tester, so it's a crap shoot if I buy one. Wolff or ISMI,,,,,,,,Wolff or ISMI,,,,,, Oh, crap I just can't decide. They are cheap, so I'll get 1 of each.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ISMI will warranty their recoil springs for 1 year no matter how many rounds you have fired with them installed.I have been trying one out in a Gunsite Pistol built on a Caspian slide and frame.I have 3000 rounds on the spring and it still measures almost the same length as a new spring.Contact Marc at ISMI he will answer all of your questions.BILLG.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too use ISMI springs in Glocks, but I believe the Glock springs are a different deal because they are a flat wire spring. After my experience with the ISMI 1911 springs, I personally don't feel I can trust them in a 1911.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
If you have to clip a spring to make it fit in your gun, how the heck do you know what spring weight you have if you don't have a tester!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
I used Wolff 17# springs for a couple of years, was completely satisfied with them, but changed to an ISMI 16# last year. I use a Shok-Buff, and had to shorten the spring by two coils to get proper fit. I have no way of testing the rate, but the gun has operated perfectly for ~3000 rounds. I spoke with Marc on more than one occasion, and was convinced that his theories on spring design, etc. had some merit. I tried his product, and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMO the ISMI springs are great.
The design, materials, and manufacture are top notch.

The chrom silicon and stainless alloys used by ISMI are very high quality and offer real performance advantages in the areas of consistency and durability, in additon to good corrosion resistance.

The manufacturing processes are state of the science, including excellent heat treat and stress relief.

JMHO, HTH

------------------
MD Labs/Mad Dog Knives

1 - 12 of 12 Posts