1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents and I shot IMSA a long time ago (early 80's) and my mom even made PA state ladies champ one time... I've shot all their guns and my pistol. However I was probably 13-14yrs old at the time. A lot has changed in the last 16-17 years and I'm now wanting to get back into something practical.

I live in the PRC (Los Angeles to be exact) and am looking to have fun, not compete for top dog... something more than just standing at the local range shooting a circle target 6 feet in front of me. So if anyone is from LA and wants to show an old newbie where to find a range and show me the ropes that would be great...

What are the differences between ISPC and IDPA?

Websites for reference/rules?(ok, i'll do a search when I'm done posting.. hahah)

I have a Glock 30 and a 1911 milspec to keep it company.

I guess past getting a quick reference to the respective organizations website... i'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction to get started....

I'm trying not to go into it completely dumbfounded and clueless...

Thanks for listening and answering....

<-- confused

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm pictureing Dirty Harry with his .44 Mag revolver walking down the range with a mean look on his face....

if that helps.:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
GSR,

Check out my site at this link and then Brian Enos's site. There is a ton of info on those.

Basic differences between the sports are huge and then again not. They shoot similar targets yet score the matches completely differently.

The links below will also be able to help sort it out.

USPSA is the regional HQ for IPSC. Over 60 countries shoot IPSC.

IDPA is the HQ for IDPA.

Jojo Vidanes a top shooter is in your area. He can be reached through JV Dynamics and he runs a club in your area. One hell of a nice guy! Tell him hi from me if you get a chance to meet him.

Good luck with your research. Try out both sports and see what works for you. There are great people at all the competitions! Just be ready for a new hobby (or two) as they are VERY addicting!

Take care and if you need more help, you can always call me or email me.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
EVERYONE WAS ONCE NEW

Go, watch, ask, learn, join.

Doesn't matter which one (or as many find, both) as long as you're shooting.
Both of your guns are fine (but you'll need more mags for IPSC).

FY33102
DVC

·
Registered
560 Posts
GSRwBoost

Let's see..

IDPA = more structured COF's, Smaller round counts for matches, less equipment needed, Few more rules on movement etc. Can and will have LOW light, almost NO Light COF's.

USPSA = More open COF's, higher round counts, tad bit more equipment needed, Few less rules on movement i.e. use of cover, reloading rules are way different. Not as likely to have Low light COF's.FUN

Depends on where your definition of "fun" is.. they are both fun but different kinds of fun.. USPSA is more run and gun and definetly higher ammounts of rounds down range. No cover, don't have to retain your mags when changing etc.. go fast shoot straight, engage targets as you see them etc...

IDPA = go fast shoot straight but do it "this way".. hold onto your mags, and reload behind cover etc..

do both and have fun..

Jeff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info...

hopefully in the next few weeks I can get to one of them and check it out...

i saw the videos on some sites matt posted and damn that looks like fun...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts