1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in limbo now, I've been wanting to purchase a Beretta 92 but in the past few weeks I've become a fan of the 1911 and BHP designs.

This past week I found info about these Israeli surplus BHP's that are finding their way into the country for around $300, FN manufacture. Has anyone had any experience with them? I'm not looking for a match target gun, but rather a good range gun which could be upgraded to a carry piece if I fall in love with it.

I know, it may be heresy to say I'll buy a BHP before a 1911, but a deal like this is rather unique. Thanks!

Check Six.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one of the surplus Hi Powers and it has been a great shooter. I have used it as a project gun and with a new barrel it now shoots less than an inch group at 25 yards. It has been a lot of fun upgrading it. Mine was in good condition, but you have to realize they don't put a lot of time into the finish for guns that go to the military. FN builds them for reliability. They have an epoxy finish and plain platic grips. The trigger pulls are crisp, but heavy. I have about $1000.00 in mine and everyone in my club thinks it is the best HP they have ever seen. For a defense gun, the $300.00 I paid for mine was a steal. It worked all day long even before I sent it off to be modified. I also know several people who have them. You can usually find them on Gunbroker.com. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mastermind - What kind of barrel did you put in it? Was the old barrel shot out; is the gun a beater?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put a Bar Sto in it. The old barrel is just as good as a factory barrel. The Bar Sto is custom fit to the slide and allows me to shoot 1" groups. Actually, from a rest, 5 rounds are just a jagged hole. Except for the ugly serial number that was stamped on the frame when the gun was imported, it is going to look better than any Hi Power I have seen when I am done with it. If there is no rust or abuse marks, which mine didn't have, you can always refinsh them. Mine is out for polishing and hard chroming right now. You can usually find a picture of one of these on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica.

·
Registered
371 Posts
MasterMind - I bought one also and paid $300 for it and it had some use. Mine is not a MKIII its somewhere in between a MK II and MK III. The sights are three dots like trijicons except they did not glow and there is a rib running the length of the top of the slide. I got mine a trigger job, dumped the magazine safety and had it reparkerized. It looks good shoots well but not as good as a MKIII I have. Mine was made in 89. I also was going to drop in a new barrel but don't know if I'll get a Barstow or a KKM. Also I put some Micarta thin grips on it. What ergonomics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The guns sound the same. MKIII frame with a MKII slide. Mine doesn't have a rib. The serial number on mine indicates a 1988 build date. The barrel is worth the money and so is a set of Novak Low Mount sites. My MKIII is a little prettier too, but the MKII slide let me do a better trigger job. The best gun I have is when I take the surplus slide with the Bar Sto barrel and put it on my 1995 MKIII frame. What a gun.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I picked up a HP several weeks ago.It also has rib on the slide.The front sight is not dovetailed in.

I checked for date of manufacture by the serial number.It is a MKIII made in 1989.I think the MKIII series began in 1988.I'm not sure when they started dovetailing the front sight.

Master,what club do you shoot at?Do you have any pics of your HP's?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am a member of the Kansas City Shooting Masters. I shoot at The Bullet Hole in OP and Mill Creek Rifle Club near Desoto. I have a few photos, but nothing current since the custom gun is getting chromed. My MKIII looks box stock except for the grips. I will post a photo when it comes back in a couple of weeks. Remember that FN changed to the MKIII for civilian use and to support the .40 S&W. Their military 9mm's stayed as MKII's for a long time because they didn't want the firing pin block, or didn't need it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Master,I've shot at those places before.I bought my HP from Flatland.I think the same guy owns Bullet Hole??

My HP is a MKII not a MKIII.

To keep this post on topic.I would take the HP over the Berreta.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the latest from AIM:

According to an email from them today, the HiPowers won't be available for another 5 weeks. This is after they told me that they'd be here in two weeks... two weeks ago! I understand that it is not their fault that the shipments are being held up, I just wish I could get an answer I trust!

And, here's the latest on my conundrum. I could wait a few more weeks and get the BHP, and maybe throw in a Manhurin (sp) PP for good measure, or I can get a Beretta 92 before the end of August and get a *free* quick-access gun safe for the night stand, desk, etc.

I can always find more HP's.

I will not get a free safe with a gun purchase beyond August 31, 2001.

I guess I'll get the Beretta!

Check Six

ps: I'm also getting a PA-63 this weekend hopefully, but I don't think it counts since it's less than $100!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I purchased one of these guns on July 9
My gun ws made in 93 and has a civilian serial number?

The finish is worn and missing in places but the gun looks like it has hardly been fired. Some pitting on the outside of the barrel but the bore looks pristine!

It has the small safety and MK II slide, three dot sights.

Now I have to find someone to refinish it. Would like a new barrel and blued finish, larger safety and trigger work.

Any suggestions?

Geoff Ross

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as refinishing goes, I'd recommend Mac's Shootin' Iron restorations at www.shootiniron.com as I've seen some of their work. Excellent finish, plus some "basic" gunsmithing to whatever you send down. That's where mine's going when/if I get one... A good friend sent down a NIB HiPower clone and it returned like a whole new gun.

Just my .02.

Check Six.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts