1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never go to the gun shop to kill time at lunch. I was shopping for a Christmas present for my son today. In talking with the owner, I asked if he had any Series I Kimbers in the store. Said "Yep, just took this one in on consignment about 30 minutes ago. Been a customer for 8 years. He said he has only put about 100-200 rounds through it." Pulls out the Classic Royal. Serial number is K067090. What a great looking gun. I have been "looking" for another Kimber in all steel. Well, dreaming is more like it. The gun appears to be 98% at least. Box, manual, all the bits. 2 Kimber mags. Wilsons will be ordered. Pristine condition. Locks up and cycles like a vault. I am happy. Gotta get to the range to run a few, though. Got a good price on it I think. What is this worth?

Jess

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Congratulations on a great pistol Jess! Last Custom Royal I saw for sale was listed at $680 and it went immediately. You'll love it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jess
I know how you feel, I did exactly the same thing while visiting family over Thanksgiving. I walked into a great little gunshop and there was a series 1 Royal that looked brand new. I could have resisted until I tried the trigger which is superb. I have function fired it a few times but my wife says I have to wait till Christmas to shoot it again.

On a side note, they also had an interesting Colt for sale. It was a series 70 with a 22 conversion unit on it. The interesting part is they said it was built by Armand Swenson. I checked it over but couldn't find any of Swenson's marks so I didn't dare buy it, although I don't really doubt their word as I bought a genuine Swenson from them a couple of years ago. They said a guy had moved to Idaho from California and and come in and traded three of four Swensons.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Third RECENT Series I Classic Royal Owner checking in!

I picked mine up less than a month ago, didn't intend to buy a gun, just get a brush for the 20 ga. I saw the gun, thought whatever, and asked my gunsmith to let me see it. As soon as I held it it was beautiful. Deep blue finish, gun was slightly used, only fired a few rounds if that.

I've never made an impulse buy, went home and thought about the gun the whole drive home. Stopped by the bank on the way home, turned the car around and tried to beat it to the shop before they closed. I knew if I didn't buy it now it'd be gone.

So far I've shot 50 rounds thru it (the day I got it)... been so broke after buying the gun I dont even have money to spend on bullets :D

Now I know the difference between "target accurate" and "combat accurate"

This thing is significantly more accurate than my Colt Government. Swweet triggers too :p

Series I whoot! I now believe the hype. :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swenson was a custom gunsmith from a few years back, he was known as one of the best in the business and collectors value his guns. BTW I paid $680 for my Kimber Royal and think I got a pretty good deal considering the new condition. There is just something about polished blued steel that I like.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Black Majik said:
been so broke after buying the gun I dont even have money to spend on bullets :D
I think we should contribute to a fund for emergency situations like this.

:D

Congrats on the Royals y'all! Nice pistols.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Here's one I bought brand new for my son on his 15th birthday. He's 20 now and it has never been fired. He will shoot the barrel hot on my other 1911s, but refuses to shoot this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I notice

.........I am seeing two different style triggers between Majic's son's Royal and Jess's Royal. Besides the obvious, what are the differences between the two?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Majic's looks like the original plastic and the other appears to be aluminum...just the time difference in the two???

·
Registered
445 Posts
silversport said:
Majic's looks like the original plastic and the other appears to be aluminum...just the time difference in the two???
Can anyone confirm or expand on that? C'mon people I need details! :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now my SLE which was bought 2 or 3 years later ( I have to find the receipt to confirm the date) has the aluminum 3 hole trigger, but it is of course a SS pistol so I made no effort to find out about the triggers (figuring they would use a bright color trigger on SS guns for asthetics).

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
My stainless Compact has the original black trigger. It was new in 1998. Funny thing though, a Clackamas I just bought has the aluminum three-hole trigger, and the original owner swears it came that way???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts