1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks, new to the 1911s and am trying to figure out what my father in law has shown me. I checked out the website dsk(?) recommended in a reply to someone else, but it didn't have what I need (great site though!).

My father in law showed me the 1911A1 he bought some thirty years ago at a flea market.

I know it was govt issue since it's stamped United States Property on the slide along with Ithaca Gun Co.

The frame has no manufacturers markings but has S/N 353XXX. There is also a marking that appears to be S15 with a partial symbol (an eagle or cross?) over that. Both are just above the mag release. What should I look for to ID the frame manufacturer.

The only stamp I found on the barrel was HS on the barrel lug.

I know several manufacturers made em, but I don't remember if Ithaca was a big or little contract.

I know the grips are not issue and the bluing is nice with holster wear on the muzzle and edges only as far as I can tell. Plus he said he's never fired it since he's owned it.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

------------------
awp101
Air Assault!

[This message has been edited by awp101 (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
The gun sounds like it has an Ithaca slide and a Colt frame. No way to tell from here if it is an arsenal rebuild, though. Most rebuilds were parkerized, not blued. The S15 is the Ordnance inspection mark. The HS barrel is a WW2 contract made for Ithaca, Remington Rand, or Union Switch & Signal.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I'll look for those stamps (anywhere in particular?).

If I can I'll get pics and post them if that would help.

------------------
awp101
Air Assault!

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Arsenal rebuild stamps were usually done on the frame (on either side) in front of the slide stop or pin.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few pics:

Well I got some pics shot and loaded. So is this a dark bluing or Park? My idea of Parking is what's on M4s, 870s etc.

I have more available if I need to email them rather than take up more bandwidth.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
It appears to be buffed & then blued. I'd suspect it was done by a shop rather than in the service. The grips are also obviously commercial ones of some type. There is no real way of knowing if the gun became a Colt/Ithaca hybrid in the service, or if it was done later by a civilian owner. Unfortunately the refinish has destroyed any evidence of how long the parts have been together. It IS possible that the slide was replaced in service, as it's a replacement unit made by Ithaca. Whenever you come across a M1911A1 slide marked "M1911A1 US ARMY" on the right side that means it was a replacement slide, not one made as part of regular pistol production.

Having said that, it's important to know that Ithaca DID at one point use replacement slides on its regular production during early 1943. Ithaca was having severe teething troubles during their early production runs, and they often used parts from anywhere they could find to keep the production line going. They also used a few surplus WW1 Colt frames provided by Springfield Armory, but those were unfinished and with no markings. Ithaca milled the finger clearance cuts on those, and then stamped them in the manner of their other production. So unfortunately your gun is NOT one of those.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite a big help actually!

Now all we have to decide is whether he wants to modify it or not.

We didn't want to mess around with something that may have had more than sentimental value.

Knowing him, it'll stay as it is and we'll build a new one!

Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts