1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a guy I work with showed up with a GI 1911 he thought I maight have interest in. It is an Ithaca 1911 mad in 1945 from the serial number. The problem is some numbskull had it nickled or chromed, not sure which. He said he found it wrapped in a towel, under a dumpster 30 years ago!

The plating is almost gone, the barrel is nasty but everything else looks pretty good. All marks are present including "property of U.S."

Is this a good foundation for a project gun at say...$100-$150.....or should I pass

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If it was found under a dumpster, chances are it has a history in crime. Be aware of this because it could be seized even if the crime took place 30+ years ago. No statute of Limitations on some crimes. The last thing you'd want is to get it all tricked out just to have some dopey evidence sergeant take it home with him. Corruption in law enforcement, surely I jest...

Yeah, surely.

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
For $100 I'd buy it only to salvage the spare parts, then likely pitch the frame. Like Callahan says it may have a troubled history.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts