1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Ain't many American gun makers left, are there? Yet we're one of the, if not THE largest firearm consumer of all countries. Of course, Ithaca never did have anything worth buying, and they lost their chance years ago to beat Colt at their own game and come out with an authentic WW2 replica M1911A1. I remember when I first heard in American Handgunner that they were planning to release a recreation of their WW2 pistols, and I was chomping at the bit to see one. Instead all they ended up releasing was a cheesy custom 1911 commemorative with modern features, made on (I think) a Caspian frame and slide. It was then that I knew they were pretty much finished as a company.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Old factories

Thanks fort Ithaca Gun Co. old plant pics.
It was a great place, a piece of US History.

What about Remington Rand plants in Syracuse, NY ?

Any pics ?:scratch:

Fabione

exitwounds said:
Wow! That place sure looks like hell, I toured that facility in the early 80's, and had a model 37 refurbished there, it's ashame the historical society never got involved with it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
dsk said:
Ain't many American gun makers left, are there? Yet we're one of the, if not THE largest firearm consumer of all countries. Of course, Ithaca never did have anything worth buying, and they lost their chance years ago to beat Colt at their own game and come out with an authentic WW2 replica M1911A1. I remember when I first heard in American Handgunner that they were planning to release a recreation of their WW2 pistols, and I was chomping at the bit to see one. Instead all they ended up releasing was a cheesy custom 1911 commemorative with modern features, made on (I think) a Caspian frame and slide. It was then that I knew they were pretty much finished as a company.
I disagree completely that Ithaca never made anything worth buying . Although I've never owned one , my hunting partner of 40+ years has a cherished M-37 16 ga that he received used in the 60s . It has been through the mill and with loving care it's still a great gun that I would stake my life on .

The NID (New Ithaca Double) was a very sweet SXS as well , and if a 20 ga with a straight stock and a splinter forend was to come my way I would get off my wallet. The recent reincarnations were also very nice although pricey.

If the 1911s were junk then maybe that's because that really wasn't their business. Their shotguns were great American firearms...Tom

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It is said that the M-37 is offspring of the Remington model 17 (a John Moses Browning design). I have a military issue M-37 with a police trigger, I dumped many whitetail deer with it as a teenager hunting my granddad's farm in NY. Probably still the best and most reliable pump shotgun I've ever owned, IMO. Ithaca also made some excellent double and single barrel trap guns. But I believe DSK was referring to their handgun line, but I too agree that they made excellent shotguns. I have an early mag-10 roadblocker, that I believe Remington may have acquired the patent for when the company reorganized in the 80's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.