1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread a while back about what folks preferred in a "Modern" shotgun. Several respondents recommended the only pre WWII shotgun still manufactured, the Ithaca Model 37. I have been keeping my eye out for one for my collection ever since, and one finally walked in the door. Not exactly what I was looking for, but since they don't come in often......like almost never, I grabbed this one for myself. Not bad condition for 65 years old, and will clean up nicely, I think.

Its a 16g with 26" CYL barrel and an "ITHACA" marked fiber optic front sight. I wasn't even aware that they made any fiber optic sights back then. This one was made in 1955.

It sure is light. Not much to loose for 200 bucks.

Does anybody know how these front sights are secured?

37-1.jpeg
37-2.jpeg
37-3.jpeg
37-4.jpeg

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm envious.

I like the notion of 16 gauge and have long wanted to try a vintage Ithaca Model 37. What a great combination. Great choke too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a 16ga like that when I was a kid, no fiber optic site though, just the bead. Great shotguns

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I had a 12 with nicer furniture that I bought in 1968. One that I sold and regret.
Joe

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've always considered that was the best designed pump shotgun ever. I sold a bunch of them while working behind the gun counter in the early seventies. A big selling point was how smooth the actions were, demonstrated by going down the pump gun rack containing all the then current makes and the 37 was the only design/brand that would fully open when you hit the action release. It's almost like the designer (JMB) knew what he was doing.;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
In the 50s the front sight was a brass bead.

I had a 1950 manufactured 12 ga.

The bead was held directly on the barrel. Drilld then apparently silver soldered. The
Bead protrude into the barres and was honed to match the inside barrel surface. No ventilated rib.

The fiber optic was added or changed.

Ithaca guns may be able to help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations----nice looking shotgun! Hope you reload------16GA ammo can be tough to find, not to mention expensive. (On the other hand----my bad-----now-a-days it seems as though just about all ammo is tough to find and expensive!)

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the 50s the front sight was a brass bead.

I had a 1950 manufactured 12 ga.

The bead was held directly on the barrel. Drilld then apparently silver soldered. The
Bead protrude into the barres and was honed to match the inside barrel surface. No ventilated rib.

The fiber optic was added or changed.

Ithaca guns may be able to help.
Ithaca introduced the "RAYBAR" fiber optic sight in 1955. It appeared in print adds in at least 1956. It was secured by a 3/48 or 3/56 threaded post. I found this out since my last post.

Congratulations----nice looking shotgun! Hope you reload------16GA ammo can be tough to find, not to mention expensive. (On the other hand----my bad-----now-a-days it seems as though just about all ammo is tough to find and expensive!)
Thank you. I have a small stash of 16ga ammo. We get it in occasionally. It seems shotgun ammo is the only ammo available these days. I stopped in a local gun shop up in Alabama as well last week to see if their situation was the same as our shop here in Florida. No 9mm, 5.56, etc etc. They had Pallets of shotgun ammo though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ithaca introduced the "RAYBAR" fiber optic sight in 1955. It appeared in print adds in at least 1956. It was secured by a 3/48 or 3/56 threaded post. I found this out since my last post.

Thank you. I have a small stash of 16ga ammo. We get it in occasionally. It seems shotgun ammo is the only ammo available these days. I stopped in a local gun shop up in Alabama as well last week to see if their situation was the same as our shop here in Florida. No 9mm, 5.56, etc etc. They had Pallets of shotgun ammo though.
Thanks.

I did not know that Ithaca had the fiber optics in 1955.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts