1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowed the original Deerslayer last year for deer season. Shot very acurate and didn't have a problem with the 30 year old gun.
Just bought a Deerslayer II thinking that I would have the best deer gun on the planet, but after only 11 slugs the gun froze up with a empty Lightfield shell in the chamber and the safety, action, and action release locked up. Cost me $20 dollars to package and ship a new gun back to the manufacturer.
Is this a rare episode for the Deerslayer II, $530 gun?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a police model with rifle sights on a 20" barrel. As an instructor, I have fired thousands of rounds of buck and slugs with no problems whatever (except severely black and blue arms and side.)
The only shortcoming is the bottom opening, which is obvious.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
For the life of me I don't know how the Ithaca ever got so popular as a police gun-- I guess because they rarealy shoot them! I mean, I've been known to shoot 3 cases of slugs and buckshot (combined) ina week, but wouldn't go 50 straight with either out of a 37 on a bet!

That being said, they do have some qualities that make them worth having-- it's just that shootability is not one. I have been known to, ah, "take care" of the bottom opening situation that WP303 mentioned. I like bottom ejection OK but do not like not having direct access to the chamber to toss one in (although I know some of the pro trainers say that's a bad idea.... I don't care, sometimes it's just faster).

I've seen Ithacas not work well with some brands of ammo-- the case head will swell into the extractor cutout preventing the extractor from getting a grip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts