1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first 1911. = Kimber Custom II= Can't wait to get to the range on Saturday.

I did notice the instruction book said to field strip and clean before I shoot it. Is this necessary ? It's the first time I've seen this and I have a new Beretta, H & K, and Walther.

Any suggestions for the first time out of the box ?

Regards....rewster

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yes, it is definitely a good idea to field strip and lube a new Kimber. By doing this, you will be able to remove any excess grease or lube that the factory seems to put on the gun, perhaps as a rust inhibitor. Mine had quite a bit of excess lube in it. Field stripping will also give you a chance to examine the gun for any obvious defects. On reassembly, you can also be sure that it is lubed properly.

It might also be a good idea to take along one or more extra magazines to your first range outing. The newer Kimber mags have been known to have problems. Also, you probably should begin the initial break in period with good quality factory ball ammo. Good luck with your new Kimber, and have a great Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy some Wilson Combat mags or at least the Wilson foloower kits. I purchased a Ultra II carry. It has had about 300 rounds through it. It was gouged after about 200 rounds. I sent it back to Kimber, they returned it in a week. It still had some light gouging after they polished the aluminum portion of the feed ramp. I took it to the range, it started FTRB after about 100 rounds. I called them and they said I should send it back again. They have been great, but I would advise ANYONE that purchases a Kimber, especially the alloy frame modles, to junk the Kimber followers or mags before ever shooing the gun and replace them with Wilson Combat mags or followers. I am working on getting a replacement frame for my Ultra so that I get the gun I paid for. We shall see.

Jess

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great purchase, I've had mine for about 2 months and love it. Buy a Wilson mag! I had a FTF on the last round of every mag with the factory mag. If you still have problems using the Wilson mag, you're extractor probably needs adjusting, mine was a little tight. Congrats and happy shootin!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I allways relube a new gun before I take it out. Why take a chance on possible problems from a dry gun?

plunker

·
Registered
83 Posts
Definitely feild strip and clean. New guns tend to be globed lubed...which actually feels more like glue.

I clean everything well.....and relube with something like FP-10.

Definitely clean the barrel.

You never know what kid of junk is in there...especially foregin debris and possibly metal shavings :eek:

Another advantage as already stated is....to see if everything is in order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the verdict is in ! I'll field strip it and clean it up. From the amount of lube on the outside and the smell, it probably is loaded inside as well. Picked up an extra mag at lunch time. A Wilson Combat mag. Seems to work a lot better than the factory mag.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll post again after I return from the range.

regards....rewster
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
WooHoo!

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911s.

Good luck at the range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it apart, cleaned, relubed AND got it back together ! :D

Now, the wait for Saturday begins. :(

Happy Turkey Day to everyone !!!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome rewster! I'll think of you having fun with your new Kimber on Saturday while I'm working:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had my Custom II for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Mine was also pretty greasy when I got it. After stripping cleaning and all that it seemed to be a bit happier. I'm really thinking about the Wilson Mags though. I've heard that from a lot of different sources. Now if I could just get a chance to try the darn thing out. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ST333 said:
I've had my Custom II for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Mine was also pretty greasy when I got it. After stripping cleaning and all that it seemed to be a bit happier. I'm really thinking about the Wilson Mags though. I've heard that from a lot of different sources. Now if I could just get a chance to try the darn thing out. :D
Ran 100 rounds of Winchester White Box through it this morning. Only had one FTfeed. Last round in the very first mag.- Wilson. I alternated with the Kimber factory mag and not one more miscue of any kind. Well, if you don't count the fact that I don't shoot that well.

This thing really handled well. Seemed like a lot less recoil than my Beretta Mini-Cougar .40 or the H&K USP Compact .40. Now, I get to clean it =again= !!!

regards....rewster :D :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts