1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While the "pandemic" has been upon us for about 18 months that has been long enough for the old normal to seem unbelievable. I wished to pick up some new .44 S&W Special brass and when I looked on Starline's website today, June 18, 2021, it read "Backorders accepted". So I added a box of 500 to my cart and proceeded to checkout. I fully expected to wait a week or so for any word. Lo and behold, this evening I got the "Label Created" email and within 60-minutes I received notification from UPS the package had been picked up and was scheduled for delivery Monday. While this is so surprising in these times, it once was considered the norm.

I have had luck scoring bullets, brass, and powder in the last six months (not all at once). I'm well stocked on primers so I'd guess I'm good to go. For all those who are still looking for equipment or components all I can say is KEEP TRYING, supplies are starting to appear. Prices are higher than they once were, and some dirt bags are still trying to gouge the unaware, but you can do it if you're patient and prepared.

Now I just need to track down a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, in .44 Mag, to go with my full size Redhawk. :)

(Not so) Grumpy today.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have rationed my shooting due to the lack of available primers. Been through hoarding for years. But not at the present level.

And I don't understand the ammo and reloading manufacturers failures to step up to the plate. Belly up the bar so to speak. I am extremely disappointed with them. I have been shooting and reloading for 56 years now. It will not be the government that takes away our guns but rather the ammo and reloading suppliers lack of performance and excuses in hard times.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
Froggy, it’s the demand dood.
Those guys are running wide open even with employee and material shortages.
I used to bitch about them not building more facilities decades ago when there were shortages, but they would end up shutting them down in times of lower demand.
You can put the blame squarely on a rigged election, BLM, Antifa and Democrat run cities that allow riots to continue. People got scared and wanted more than a golf club to protect themselves. At least the post office didn’t observe Juneteenth yesterday and I got my stuff delivered!!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
For several reasons (time/work/health), my shooting has been minimal for the last few years. However , having paid attention to the price/availability during the Obama years , and potential 'Hillary Administration' , I stocked up heavily during the 'relief' after Trump's election. 5 & 8lb jugs of powder were around $125-150 , Primers were 3/1000pc cartons for around $100. I was actually getting 5 carton 'cases' of Winchester primers for $125.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I have rationed my shooting due to the lack of available primers. Been through hoarding for years. But not at the present level.

And I don't understand the ammo and reloading manufacturers failures to step up to the plate. Belly up the bar so to speak. I am extremely disappointed with them. I have been shooting and reloading for 56 years now. It will not be the government that takes away our guns but rather the ammo and reloading suppliers lack of performance and excuses in hard times.
Most gun industry and press is saying ammo/powder/primer makers are running/shipping at max capacity 24/7. I'd bet that the distributors and dealers are the ones holding back just to jack up prices.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If anybody needs powder, I suggest you check out the Hodgdon website every few days. They sell direct to the consumer. Powders are starting to show up more frequently.

Now if we could just locate some primers. I am on every "Notify when available" list I can find.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have powder, primers, and bullets. Just need time. I am hoping that my new hires work out so I can maybe stop working 7 days a week.

Back in november I was out for 2 weeks with the rona and loaded up a ton of ammo. My last few range sessions have been with 22lr.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It would be nice to stock up on more Starline 44spl brass! I mostly shoot revolvers in these times because I can keep up with brass easier. Congrats on your find.

PS. In the last few months I aquired 100 Lapua 7.62x39 LPP brass and 100 Geco 7.62x39 LPP brass (all virgin new). I still don't think it's as bad as it has been in the past.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
Most gun industry and press is saying ammo/powder/primer makers are running/shipping at max capacity 24/7. I'd bet that the distributors and dealers are the ones holding back just to jack up prices.
Let’s hope that’s not the case. Even if they were, they would have to be building more warehouse space to put it all. Sooner or later the dam would break and the market would be flooded. Even then, the procrastination experts would fail to stock up. I would be investing in primers!!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Froggy, it’s the demand dood.
Those guys are running wide open even with employee and material shortages.
I used to bitch about them not building more facilities decades ago when there were shortages, but they would end up shutting them down in times of lower demand.
You can put the blame squarely on a rigged election, BLM, Antifa and Democrat run cities that allow riots to continue. People got scared and wanted more than a golf club to protect themselves. At least the post office didn’t observe Juneteenth yesterday and I got my stuff delivered!!
You're not going to change Froggy's mind. It's a closed loop.

He's a logistical genius but he won't share his knowledge with the primer and ammo makers. He'd rather sit back and bitch about what a poor job they are doing.

I'd like to increase his workload by 300% in two months time and see how well he handles it.

He's ignoring basic economics. He's forgotten about the toilet paper shortage, the shortage of canned goods, and all the other non-firearms related shortages we've seen in the past 18 months.

Hell, not long ago there was a rumor here in North Texas there was a shortage of gas. Every swinging dick and their chick decided they needed to fill their tanks at once because of the rumor. Every place that sold gas cans was sold out in less than a day. People were putting gasoline in garbage bags....because they heard a rumor.

As I recall the rumor came out Monday night. By Tuesday most stations were sold out. By Friday things were back to normal. But if you needed gas on Wednesday you were screwed.

Thankfully this was a localized thing. If it had been widespread it would have taken much longer to go back to normal.

The ammo/components situation was the perfect storm.

Kung Flu
BLM showing people the police couldn't/wouldn't protect them.
Presidential election.

This all came together to create somewhere between 7-10 million new gun owners and many of the existing gun owners deciding to buy what in many cases was years worth of supplies.

Imagine what would happen if every family in the US decided to buy a years worth of groceries the same week and wouldn't be satisfied till they had that years supply. Total chaos.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO company out there can handle a 300% increase in demand and fill that demand. NOT ONE.

Hell, they can't build new cars because of a shortage of computer chips.

There are a lot of similarities between the chip industry and ammo/components.

It takes a very large investment to bring new production online, it takes 2-5 years to even get the equipment and facility built, and it takes quite a while to get the people trained.

No company out there can stay in business by having 3X their normal production lines sitting there idle.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Grunt you nailed it with your reply. I manage a big box autoparts store and we are having supply chain issues as well.
This time last year we were going full steam ahead. Company wide we had a 28% increase in sales vs 2019. Now this year due to no more bribes from uncle joe we are 20ish percent down over last year.

Could we have built more stores? Yes just like federal could open another plant but by the time its completed the panic would be over. Why do you think ammo was so cheap during DJT. No panic buying and supply was siiting in warehouses.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
And I don't understand the ammo and reloading manufacturers failures to step up to the plate
I’m not sure what you don’t understand… They are running at full capacity 24 hours a day. There facilities and personnel are maxed out. Short of a year or more project (And many millions of dollarsto build new facilities there is absolutely nothing else they can do. And that assumes that worldwide material shortages will not be an issue and they would have plenty of material to work with.… Again assuming they could even staff up and train people for the facility.

And if that all works out in time to pay these facilities off, they will have to shut them down in a year to 18 months when demand returns to normal. It sucks, but it would make no sense for them to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new .44 Special brass arrived today. It's like Christmas in June. Over the next day of two I'll run them through the sizer die, expand them, and then prime them. Since these will be first and foremost range fodder, I'll probably use some of the cast bullets I have, 200, 220, and 240 grain. When I pick up an Alaskan I'll build some hotter loads using Jacketed bullets. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Kung Flu
BLM showing people the police couldn't/wouldn't protect them.
Presidential election.

This all came together to create somewhere between 7-10 million new gun owners and many of the existing gun owners deciding to buy what in many cases was years worth of supplies.

Imagine what would happen if every family in the US decided to buy a years worth of groceries the same week and wouldn't be satisfied till they had that years supply. Total chaos.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO company out there can handle a 300% increase in demand and fill that demand. NOT ONE.
It takes a very large investment to bring new production online, it takes 2-5 years to even get the equipment and facility built, and it takes quite a while to get the people trained.

No company out there can stay in business by having 3X their normal production lines sitting there idle.
^^^ this ^^^

Exactly so.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
My new .44 Special brass arrived today. It's like Christmas in June. Over the next day of two I'll run them through the sizer die, expand them, and then prime them. Since these will be first and foremost range fodder, I'll probably use some of the cast bullets I have, 200, 220, and 240 grain. When I pick up an Alaskan I'll build some hotter loads using Jacketed bullets. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Grumpy
And to think......there are actually people out there that are satisfied with the meager scraps fed to them on the shelves behind the counter at WalMart...😆

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And to think......there are actually people out there that are satisfied with the meager scraps fed to them on the shelves behind the counter at WalMart...😆
One of the reasons I chose to reload was to become independent of the whims of Wally-world preferences and LGS choices. I wanted to shoot something other than Winchester white-box or aluminum cased range fodder. I also like to see "what if"?

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
Funny how more people have not arrived at that thought pattern.
Must be too busy driving the kids to soccer......in the van......with everyone else’s kids.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts