1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've been running the new brass through the dies and pulling out an occasional case to measure. Out of about half the lot (500 cases) done and the ones I've measured have all fallen at or slightly above the trim to length. They all gave a slight resistance going into and out of the carbide sizer die (friction more than anything). Now I need to decide on a good target load using 240 grain Berry's.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is an amazing thing!!
I have found it very rare to have over length pistol brass.
Starline to boot.....that stuff will last forever.
Amazing would probably not be a common adjective people use to describe my skill measuring things with the dial caliper I have. :)
Amazing he lived this long, amazing someone hasn't kicked his butt, amazing he's not in jail come to mind. I've never worked at NASA so take my measuring abilities with a grain of salt.

I just don't even consider even buying any brand brass other than Starline, rifle or pistol.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
I’m sure you measure just fine!
Starline is a far cry from some Federal stuff I got that was way short.

·
Registered
144 Posts
scrounging and trolling for large primer 45 brass, I think that more manufacturers are moving to small and that's a pain..

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Once things settle down a bit, the best method is to find sites that sell once fired large. That, or spend a bunch getting new Starline. They don’t make small primed 45. On purpose!!

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Ya know, I really don't care which I use, but they gotta just do it or don't.
This is like a cruel joke to sprinkle it around and jam up the presses!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got all the new .44 Special cases sized and expanded. Next I prime the whole 500 and start deciding on a load. I've got lots of suitable powders, and I have some 200 gr RNFP cast bullets, some 240 gr TC cast bullets, some 240 gr Barry's plated FPs, and all sorts of Hornady XTPs in various weights. To start off I'll probably use the 200 gr cast (S&S). I'll keep them around 800 to 850 fps. Should make some sweet shooting loads. When I save up the rest of the funds for an Alaskan I'll get serious with the XTPs.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ya know, I really don't care which I use, but they gotta just do it or don't.
This is like a cruel joke to sprinkle it around and jam up the presses!
Since I de-cap all my rounds in an Universal de-capping die I'll normally catch the spp cases at the priming station. I'll catch most, but not all of them, before I try to seat a primer. Still stinks, but batch loading on a single stage allows me to just pull the spp case and drop it in a can. When I get enough I'll load them up and leave them at the ranges that don't allow pick ups.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Yeah, that’s the biggest difference. When you are knee deep with a shell plate full of cases in various stages of the process and just cruisin’ along, the damn “whack” of a large primer hitting a small hole brings a man to Cussin’. The immediate thought is to go find that SOB that left those there!! I agree with dumping them on the “no pick up” guys, they deserve it!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
All the new brass has been primed and is ready to load. I will build a few with the "old stand-by powders" first and see where that leads me. :)

Grumpy

Reactions: flechero

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
You may want to hang on to 100 or so. Fletch may want to buy them from you......he’s almost out of primers!!😆

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Not really- I have come the the conclusion that I might only buy a couple lbs of Clays or N310, as the rest of my inventory is in good shape.

Although for anyone in need- Midway has been dropping primers all morning (CCI, Fed, Rem and CCI mil spec) and allowing multiple varieties per purchase. Yesterday they were allowing 2k ea. variety per person. Still 7-8 cents each but only $12 hazmat you can spread down the hazmat with some of the in stock powders.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've noticed several Big Box suppliers showing different primers in stock over the last few days. It will cost you some of your hard earned bucks to pick some up, but they are out there. I noticed Midway is asking, and apparently getting $75 per thousand. That is five times what I paid the last time I resupplied. I honestly may pick up a couple thousand of the odds and ends I keep in stock but don't use a whole lot, such as small pistol magnum and large rifle magnum. A couple thousand of those will last me years. (that is after I go through the ones I already have on hand).

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
This is a great indicator.
It also goes to show that ammo hoarding is slowing. Otherwise the big guys wouldn’t let ANY primers loose!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This is a great indicator.
It also goes to show that ammo hoarding is slowing. Otherwise the big guys wouldn’t let ANY primers loose!
Realistically, nature places a limit on most hoarding. Sooner of later most hoarders run out of money, get discouraged because the supply catches up, or they just get tired of buying stuff that doesn't seem to be in the demand they thought it would be. What's the point in having 100,000 primers if you don't reload, no one wants to buy them at $500 per 1,000, or you ended up paying a higher price than the open market will support. I can see Estate Sales with the widow trying to sell a skid load of primers because her late husband cashed out their IRA to buy primers that he failed to resell.

Grumpy

Reactions: BrokenGrunt

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Yeah, well, they can choke on it for all I care!!
I love it when they try to buy high and get stuck with a ton they lose their ass on!

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
Realistically, nature places a limit on most hoarding. Sooner of later most hoarders run out of money, get discouraged because the supply catches up, or they just get tired of buying stuff that doesn't seem to be in the demand they thought it would be. What's the point in having 100,000 primers if you don't reload, no one wants to buy them at $500 per 1,000, or you ended up paying a higher price than the open market will support. I can see Estate Sales with the widow trying to sell a skid load of primers because her late husband cashed out their IRA to buy primers that he failed to resell.

Grumpy
I ended up getting a lot, and I mean a lot of .45 acp ammo from just such a situation. I got a really good deal on it also.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I loaded up the first "test batch" of the new brass this afternoon. Just to see where things run I weighed 10 new, primed cases. The weights ran from low of 107.2 grains to a high of 108.1 grain. So we're looking at an extreme spread of 0.9 grains for the case and primer. I was going to use some of the Barry's 240 gr FP I had picked up. So keeping up with my madness I weighed 10 bullets. The bullets ran from a low of 239.7 grains to a high of 240.5 grains. That game me an extreme spread of 0.8 grains. Total possible difference, if both extreme values (low and high) just happened to end up in one completed round would be 1.7 grains. The point of this non-scientific plan was to see what might be a normal variance in component weight less the charge weight. I really never felt weighing completed rounds to check your charge weights was very accurate. The charge for these loads was 6.1 grains of Unique. So yes you might pick up a completely uncharged round or a double charge, but there are some wiggle room for error.

My test loads were as follows: 240 gr Plated Flat point, Winchester LPP, 6.1gr of Unique, light roll crimp, with a OAL of 1.445".

I kept the charge weight low because being Plated bullets I just wasn't sure how well they'd handle a heavy crimp. The box said Max Velocity 1850 fps. These will be well below that. Who has experience using Barry's #00207 240gr Flat point bullets? How easily will you cut the plating with a heavy crimp? Honestly the crimp groove is very shallow. If the initial crimp didn't cut into the plating, would the plating scrape off when fired after a heavy crimp? I'm not having any issues keeping the loads low, but the label on the box seems to indicate they will handle full .44 Magnum velocities. With the expected velocity of this load I not worried about a light crimp allowing the bullet to back out of the case and lock up the cylinder.

I look forward to hearing from experienced Barry's users.

Grumpy

21 - 40 of 64 Posts