1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm seeing powder prices coming down. Not all the way but a lot better then a short time ago. For 44 special in my Ruger flattop I load 7 to 7.5 gr of Unique with coated 240 gr semi wadcutters. I load some lighter bullets in special or 44 Russian cases for a Taurus 445 snub I have. The 240 gr semiwadcutters also feed great in my 44 mag Marlin lever action in magnum cases.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
The bullets ran from a low of 239.7 grains to a high of 240.5 grains.
This is a great example of how much the process has improved over the last decade or so. There are still more accurate projectiles, but there is nothing wrong with getting a good deal on plated and shooting the crap out of them! Plenty accurate......
How easily will you cut the plating with a heavy crimp?
Not nearly as fragile as you think. I have cranked pretty heavy roll crimps on Berry’s, Rainier, and XTreme without issue. The Rainier without cannelure and a heavy roll actually performed outstanding from my Henry. I have pulled quite a few just to see if there was a break. There never was! Crimp away, these are not the same plated junk from the 90’s.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well it will not be long before the "real" testing begins. I pulled the pin, so to speak. I purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum today. I'll get the MO off tomorrow and get a copy of my local FFL off to the Gun Shop. After that it should take a couple days for it to arrive. I have plenty of .44 Magnum ammunition loaded, and some test loads in .44 Special cases. Time to dust off the chrono and make sure I have paper for it's printer.

Grumpy

Reactions: flechero

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Lay in a supply of Bengay too! New guns, especially that flavor, have a tendency to keep one at the range until you can’t feel your fingers anymore!

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
Well it will not be long before the "real" testing begins. I pulled the pin, so to speak. I purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum today. I'll get the MO off tomorrow and get a copy of my local FFL off to the Gun Shop. After that it should take a couple days for it to arrive. I have plenty of .44 Magnum ammunition loaded, and some test loads in .44 Special cases. Time to dust off the chrono and make sure I have paper for it's printer.

Grumpy
Congratulations Grumpy Did you get a Redhawk or a Blackhawk?? I have a Super BlackHawk 5 1/2 that I carried or had in the truck for 20 years. Mine is a great revolver.

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
Lay in a supply of Bengay too! New guns, especially that flavor, have a tendency to keep one at the range until you can’t feel your fingers anymore!
You have to know that when you start to taste blood in the back of your throat, then it is time to quit.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Congratulations Grumpy Did you get a Redhawk or a Blackhawk?? I have a Super BlackHawk 5 1/2 that I carried or had in the truck for 20 years. Mine is a great revolver.
I picked up a Super Redhawk Alaskan. It will make me a good trifecta. 7.5" Redhawk in .44 Mag, a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt, and now the 2.5" Super Redhawk in .44 Mag. It will be fun to see the velocity difference between the 7.5" and 2.5" barrels. :)

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
You have to know that when you start to taste blood in the back of your throat, then it is time to quit.
😆 Now THAT I will use later on!
Knocking a filling out or sending your junk into your watch pocket are popular too!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
😆 Now THAT I will use later on!
Knocking a filling out or sending your junk into your watch pocket are popular too!
I don't think I'll load any that hot. :)
However, just to see what happens I will run a cylinder or two of my "full bore" W296 rounds out of it. A few, not a steady diet.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
I don't think I'll load any that hot. :)
However, just to see what happens I will run a cylinder or two of my "full bore" W296 rounds out of it. A few, not a steady diet.

Grumpy
My S&W 329PD is perfect for stout 44 Special or mild 44 Magnum loads but is too light for me for Full House (I have a stash of 300g Cast Cores from Montana days) they are reserved for the big Ruger.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
My S&W 329PD is perfect for stout 44 Special or mild 44 Magnum loads but is too light for me for Full House (I have a stash of 300g Cast Cores from Montana days) they are reserved for the big Ruger.
Your post got me thinking. Your S&W 329PD weighs in at 25.5 oz. The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 mag comes in at 45 oz. While no where close to my S&W .500 Mag, it is a pound and a third more than your 329PD. However I'm an old grumpy fat guy, so I will limit my full house loads to a few "just to see". I did pick up 500 .44 Special cases to play with.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
Grumpy I am too old and too soft to shoot any full house loads in that 329pd and too stubborn to quit shooting it It's a blast with 44spec loads about 1000 fps or so or lower mag loads to 1100 fps

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
Grumpy I am too old and too soft to shoot any full house loads in that 329pd and too stubborn to quit shooting it It's a blast with 44spec loads about 1000 fps or so or lower mag loads to 1100 fps
+1 on the 329 PD with full house rounds. I have one and carry it pretty regularly. Great carry gun by the way. But a full cylinder of heavy rounds and you are done.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
+1 on the 329 PD with full house rounds. I have one and carry it pretty regularly. Great carry gun by the way. But a full cylinder of heavy rounds and you are done. View attachment 614448
😆 So’s the guy on the receiving end!!
I carried mine in Montana a lot and shot it with full house loads a little. I switched over from my Super BlackHawk 5 1/2 and S&W 629 5 inch when on foot due to the weight savings while hunting unless I was handgun hunting. I really like it in 44 special warm loads. its a hoot to shoot and very accurate.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
I bet Grumpy's RedHawks are a hoot to shoot as well. my neighbor has one I want to shoot someday. just for fun

·
Registered
982 Posts
You all are lot tougher than this old mountain boy! Full house .44mags out of a 329PD sounds about as much fun as a good old fashioned ass kickin'. We've shot 320gr. LBTs out of our 6.5" and 5" Model 29s over the years and that's about all we ever want in the recoil department. Yep, we are a recoil wuss.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
421 Posts
You all are lot tougher than this old mountain boy! Full house .44mags out of a 329PD sounds about as much fun as a good old fashioned ass kickin'. We've shot 320gr. LBTs out of our 6.5" and 5" Model 29s over the years and that's about all we ever want in the recoil department. Yep, we are a recoil wuss.
LOL It's not as much fun as getting a butt woopin. And the high pressure kills my ears now so I double up when I shoot stout loads
Truely a gun to carry a lot and shoot a little.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
To be specific, to try out full power loads is a much smaller number of rounds than consistently shooting full power loads. :oops:

Grumpy

41 - 60 of 64 Posts