1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It might depend on what the op plans on using his Model 41 for. The Model 41 was developed as a serious pistol for Bullseye competition (extreme accuracy being the predicator). A 1911-style pistol converted to shoot .22 rimfire will never be a serious alternative to pistols like target-oriented Colt, High Standard, Ruger and Model 41 pistols. If his interests are less formal than Bullseye shooting (plinking and casual target shooting), a 1911-type pistol would certainly suffice.
Oh, contraire. I have a 1911 frame with a Nelson .22 conversion and it runs right with my M41 in terms of accuracy and reliability. Has a fabulous trigger just over 2 pounds with a little roll. May even be more reliable then my 41. Many, many Maser level bullseye shooters shoot a 1911 in .22. This bad boy can run with the big dogs.

I have a Ruger Competition stuffed full of Volquartsen parts. Its nice, but feels like a Ruger trying to be a real pistol.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Dddrees,
Thanks. I think my pistol looks awesome. I have to give credit to JayhawkNavy who shared with me a list of some of the best bullseye gunsmiths in the country. I had John Vincent of Hallston Custom Machine build my 1911 receiver for my Nelson conversion.
http://www.hallstoncustom.com
I specified everything I wanted - magwell, ambi safety (I try to shoot weak handed, poorly), Challis bushings and VZ grips. John used a Foster frame, stippled the front strap and built an awesome trigger. I sent him the conversion unit and he tested it with CCI SV. The total from John was just over $800 shipped to my FFL. I consider that the best deal I’ve ever gotten in the gun world. John also built my frame in under a month once I gave him the go ahead. Other smiths will take much, much longer. The Nelson was about $500 and I got an extra top rail with sights and 2 extra mags, so about $650. It’s a little more than a 41, but I really wanted an accurate 1911 .22.
I must say I love the balance of my 41. With open sights it sits in my hand just perfect. I’m tempted to get a European pistol just because. I’m certainly not good enough to need one. I have shot a Pardini and it was wonderful.
Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Awesome pic. Thanks for sharing. Now I really don’t have an excuse.
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts