1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot of comment about Kimber's new SIS pistols lately. Saw my first on in person today at the gun show. Was very impressed, and ended up working out a trade to bring it home. Now that I've broke it down, cleaned it up, and generally "played" with it alot, I have to admit I'm very happy I bought this. I was drawn to the fact that it has and internal extractor and NO series II junk. This pistol reminds me of the first Kimber I bought back when they first came out. I've always said, even when I had my problems with some Kimbers, that when you get a good Kimber, you get a very good 1911. I now have a very good 1911.
I really like the long, solid trigger and the GI style recoil plug set up. I like the Kimpro finish, and while it is "slick" I don't find it so slick as to be a problem as some have reported. I personally could do without the "SIS" letters for the slide serrations, but again I don't find them the problem that some people seem to. The night sights are very bright, and are also easy to see in the light, which is great for my eyes, which don't see things as good as they did a few years ago!:)
I added a magwell and a set of Wilson G10 grips, and other than that I will run this gun as is. The fact that it came with a Kimpro mag was also a nice touch. I did notice something I wasn't used to. Maybe Kimber has been doing this for awhile and I didn't know. But the frame rail on the LH side is "cut out" at the slide stop area. I know Colt did this a few years back on their Delta Elite pistols to avoid cracks in that area, but I didn't realize anyone did it on a 45.

Any way, if you are in the market for a nice "old school" quality Kimber, ignore the talk of the SIS being a"hype" model and take a look. I bet you'll like what you see.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
But the frame rail on the LH side is "cut out" at the slide stop area. I know Colt did this a few years back on their Delta Elite pistols to avoid cracks in that area, but I didn't realize anyone did it on a 45.
Kimbers have always been like that. It's actually easier to machine that way but some purist JMB aficionados don't care for it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the info. I've been "away" from Kimbers for a few years after a couple of badd series II "experiences". Guess I forgot they were cut like that and it caught me by surprise when I pulled the slide off.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Congrats!

Sure sounds like you got a nice gun...now you need to show us the PICS! :)

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Congrats on your SIS. I was starting to look at an Eclipse as my next Kimber, but now SIS is starting to look better to me.

Is the SIS MSH plastic or metal?

Let us know what happens on the range.

Good Luck and Good Shooting! :rock:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MSH is metal, but is serrated and not checkered. I replace mine with a magwell unit. The Eclipse are nice, but te selling point that got me back into a Kimber was the lack of any Series II parts. And don't be swayed by the talk of how "cheesy" the SIS letters for slide serrations looks. While I could live without it, they are not near as noticable in person as when attention is drawn to them in a photo. My wife didn't even realize it WAS the letters SIS until I pointed it out. And sorry RdB. Sure wish I had some pics to post. But I have no digital camera. Heck, I'm lucky I know how to use a computer well enought to post here, I'm not sure I could even figure out how to get a pic up!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I now have the Pro and Custom SIS in my collection...I was originally swayed by bad responces against the slick finish...but i wized up and i have now obtained 2 very nice 1911's..

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I now have the Pro and Custom SIS in my collection...I was originally swayed by bad responces against the slick finish...but I wized up and I have now obtained 2 very nice 1911's..
+1!!

I'm anxiously awaiting my Ultra SIS - everyone NEEDS at least one of each, don't they? :biglaugh:

This is an addiction, isn't it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you are correct sir....i am saving my pennies for the ultra now...i do like the finish...and who knows in 10-15 years maybe us SIS owners will have a collectable instead of a whoops...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sis

I just added the SIS to my stable...I've put a few rounds thru it, and thats about it....I'm about to send the warrior off to be re-finished, so once I'm confident that the SIS is gonna run 100%, I'll be carrying the SIS while I wait on my warrior to come back home. I really love the sights!
All I'll be doing (hopefully) is swapping the grips on the SIS and she'll be good-to-go....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I second the above. I thought the SIS was for posers when I first read about it but changed my mind when I handled one. The grips/checkering are great as are the sights. The frame to slide fit was really tight but 500 rounds will cure that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts