1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get into this, let me say that I greatly respect Springfield, Colt, and Ruger. However, none of their current offerings are exactly what I want.

So after doing quite a bit of research, I've settled on this one:

I love the fact that it has front strap checkering, something no one else is offering in this price range, or at least not in a Commander model. I haven't heard a complaint about the Desert Eagle 1911's yet and everyone says they have fantastic triggers right out of the box. I also love the look of having blued parts on stainless.

The downside is that no one seems to have these in stock anywhere at the moment.

·
Registered
178 Posts
my experience has been good. have shot several, well made, but feel sort of 'clunky' to me. could be just a grip change, or they may be different in the last few years. tight, good trigger, runs well. best, james

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my experience has been good. have shot several, well made, but feel sort of 'clunky' to me. could be just a grip change, or they may be different in the last few years. tight, good trigger, runs well. best, james
I install slim grips and bushings on any 1911 I get, so that wouldn't be a factor for me.

On a side note, this is also why I shy away from buying any 1911 with an alloy frame. I had a REALLY bad experience with trying to swap the bushings on one.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I forgot this part. I greatly prefer the rollmark above over the huge "billboard" that no one seems to like.

For example:

I doubt that would be a deal breaker if I found one for a good price, but I'm glad they're getting away from it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I own 3 of the "Deagles" 2 in .45, 1 in 9mm. I've found all to be flawless shooters with great triggers right out of the box. As an example of their quality, try to find a used one. Plenty of other brands out there, but once you own a " Deagle", it will be the last one you sell. As for the "billboard" on the slide, I can't see it when I shoot it, lay it down on the left side and get over it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own 3 of the "Deagles" 2 in .45, 1 in 9mm. I've found all to be flawless shooters with great triggers right out of the box. As an example of their quality, try to find a used one. Plenty of other brands out there, but once you own a " Deagle", it will be the last one you sell. As for the "billboard" on the slide, I can't see it when I shoot it, lay it down on the left side and get over it.
This is what I've been reading for months now. Great trigger right out of the box, ultra reliable, tight parts fitment. The fact that they changed the rollmark to a smaller one is just icing on the cake. But again, if I found one with the "billboard," it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's one thing I'm curious about, though: I'm not sure I get the concept of the 4.33-inch barrel, plus the way it protrudes beyond the frame.

Is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of? Is it just cosmetic or does it serve a functional purpose?

EDIT: Also... I've noticed that the stainless version (which is what I want) has a checkered frontstrap, while the blued version does not. Is this because it's harder to blue over checkering, or is there another reason?

The more I look into this gun, the more intrigued I become.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting that they went with bull barrel on a Commander, wonder if they are ramped or not.
That's another thing that appeals to me. I'm a fan of bull barrels. I know that some will disagree.

My Springfield Champion also has a bull barrel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought my 5" model when they first came out, blued non-checkered front strap. A few years later I bought the U model (3") blued but WITH checkered front strap. Neither was available in stainless at that time or that's what I would have bought. My C model (4.3") I bought 2 years ago, also blued WITH checkered front strap. It is in 9mm with ramped barrel. Stainless was available by then on the 2 models I already owned, but not the in 9mm, so blued again. They are made by Bul MFG. in Israel. If you can find one, buy it, you won't be sorry. Can't say anything about customer service 'cause I never had to use it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought my 5" model when they first came out, blued non-checkered front strap. A few years later I bought the U model (3") blued but WITH checkered front strap. Neither was available in stainless at that time or that's what I would have bought. My C model (4.3") I bought 2 years ago, also blued WITH checkered front strap. It is in 9mm with ramped barrel. Stainless was available by then on the 2 models I already owned, but not the in 9mm, so blued again. They are made by Bul MFG. in Israel. If you can find one, buy it, you won't be sorry. Can't say anything about customer service 'cause I never had to use it.
Yeah, they seem to be really scarce at the moment, especially the stainless models which is what I really want.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My C model (4.3") I bought 2 years ago, also blued WITH checkered front strap.
Just today one was listed on GunBroker, blued with checkered front strap.

So, I'm a little confused about what was made when. This one has the large "billboard" logo. Who knows? Maybe it's new old stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think just the early blued ones had the non-checkered front strap. Not sure when they changed. I bought the G (5") in 2013, non-checkered front strap, large billboard, black sights. Bought the U (3") in 2015, checkered front strap, black sights, small billboard. Bought the C (4") in 2019, checkered front strap, small billboard, white 3 dot sights, G10 grips. So they seem to be improving an already excellent 1911. A call to Magnum Research will answer your questions as to when changes were made.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think just the early blued ones had the non-checkered front strap. Not sure when they changed. I bought the G (5") in 2013, non-checkered front strap, large billboard, black sights. Bought the U (3") in 2015, checkered front strap, black sights, small billboard. Bought the C (4") in 2019, checkered front strap, small billboard, white 3 dot sights, G10 grips. So they seem to be improving an already excellent 1911. A call to Magnum Research will answer your questions as to when changes were made.
I think the 3-inch 'U' version has always had the checkered front strap, or at least every one I've seen has had it.

I've also decided that the large roll mark doesn't bother me that much, although I still prefer the smaller one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy the time the U came out I think all models had checkered front strap. Cabot makes a model, I can't recall which one, which has a bigger roll mark than the Desert Eagle has, it's about $10,000.00 and nobody seems to mind that one. Like I said before, you can't see it when when you shoot it, just lay it down on the left side and get over it. Once you shoot it you'll forget about the billboard and anyone around you will be impressed by the group you just shot with that 3lb no creep trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a goverment size desert eagle 45 acp yesterday, was on the hunt for it for a few years. The 2021 magnum research desert eagle MR1911GSS. It has some changes from previous years models. The desert eagle logo is missing, magnum research told me the atf told them they could not use desert eagle logo on more than one gun (the 50 ae, 44 magnum have the logo). Also they use a different sight cuts, this year is novak, previous years used kahr 1911 sight cuts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts