1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a Ruger SR45 a couple of years ago, and went in search of a holster for it, pretty much finding nothing except things like the generic Uncle Mike's padded nylon holsters. I did find a local company that makes Kydex holsters and was willing to find a way to make it fit even though they didn't actually have a mold for that particular pistol but knew someone who had one of the pistols that they could borrow. A month later I had the holster and a Kydex double mag pouch in my hot little hands. I wore them for about a month as EDC and hated every minute of it. Nothing felt right...

Fast forward to last summer, when I found a gentleman who produced a quite nice leather OWB holster for the pistol in just five days that is nothing short of a miraculous difference. He didn't have a mold for that particular pistol either, but I was passing through his part of the world and dropped the pistol with him on Sunday evening and had pistol and holster back the following Saturday...

I guess I'm just not cut out to carry a plastic holster...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't like and therefore don't know much about Ruger products. But, I absolutely love Kydex holsters because they are so much better than leather. They won't mold or mildew like leather will. If you carry your pistol all the time like I did on/off duty and now after retirement all the time for EDC, a leather holster will mildew, will deform, and will wear out a lot faster than a quality Kydex holster. My two top holsters that I use and have used for years for EDC are made by Blade Tech and StealthGear.

All that said, I checked for SR45 Ruger and couldn't even find one on their website. It must be a discontinued model. The closest one on their website was a .45 called the American.

·
Super Moderator
14,377 Posts
Don't you mean leather HAD a soul before someone made hamburger out of it? Just sayin'

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
😆Hamburger is made from meat, the leather still has soul! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I had shoes with leather soles.....Comfy.

My favorite OWB holster is Kydex though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned many leather holsters over the years but presently don't use any. I agree that leather has a soul. I've found with Kydex that only holsters from certain manufacturers suit me. Much of that has to do with how it's made and more specifically how it attaches to the belt. I strongly recommend BlackPoint Tactical. They fit the pistol perfectly and ride well. I have another brand holster that I loaned to a friend but I don't recall the name. I'll edit this post when I get it back.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I've found that kydex, much like ARs, plastic handguns, lawyers, and suppositories, are a necessary evil. The first three work well either for competition or for their 'disposable' qualities. The last two, well........... when you need 'em!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Plastic sucks for IBW carry, ok for some range time I guess, I like my life support system wrapped in soft leather so they are comfy.

·
Super Moderator
14,377 Posts
Leather certainly had it's place in my heart many years ago, but it's the durability and utility of kydex/plastic holsters that I appreciate and use the most these days.
There are always applications and situations to use differing strategies as far as equipment goes, they all have their place. For me personally, I have not had a leather holster wear out, mildew, or evidence any other short-coming in 40+ years, but will admit that a well made Kydex holster MIGHT be a little faster on the draw, or perhaps not soak the gun finish as much in foul weather. Having said that, it does seem to wear more aggressively on most finishes, so there is always a trade-off - like with anything else I suppose.

Reactions: mdell49

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't like and therefore don't know much about Ruger products. But, I absolutely love Kydex holsters because they are so much better than leather. They won't mold or mildew like leather will. If you carry your pistol all the time like I did on/off duty and now after retirement all the time for EDC, a leather holster will mildew, will deform, and will wear out a lot faster than a quality Kydex holster. My two top holsters that I use and have used for years for EDC are made by Blade Tech and StealthGear.

All that said, I checked for SR45 Ruger and couldn't even find one on their website. It must be a discontinued model. The closest one on their website was a .45 called the American.
I've owned many leather holsters over the years but presently don't use any. I agree that leather has a soul. I've found with Kydex that only holsters from certain manufacturers suit me. Much of that has to do with how it's made and more specifically how it attaches to the belt. I strongly recommend BlackPoint Tactical. They fit the pistol perfectly and ride well. I have another brand holster that I loaned to a friend but I don't recall the name. I'll edit this post when I get it back.
I agree. I have both leather and kydex. I love my leather TTGunleather for IWB, but I find a quality kydex works best for my needs at least for OWB. A few of my OWB leather holsters require a bit of a break-in period, so it’s difficult to unholster right out of the box, even after letting the gun sit in there for days. After awhile, the leather becomes too soft and loses retention. But a quality kydex allows you to adjust retention to your liking right out of the box. That’s been my limited experience, though.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
I have never had a Milt Sparks holster get soft or loose retention. Tumbled down some stairs last Saturday and my Wilson Professional and extra mag held in place with no issue at all. This is not a test I plan on redoing anytime soon. :D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I have never had a Milt Sparks holster get soft or loose retention. Tumbled down some stairs last Saturday and my Wilson Professional and extra mag held in place with no issue at all. This is not a test I plan on redoing anytime soon. :D

Dangitman.......hope you are okay !!!!

Stair dives can result in some serious ouches.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I prefer leather and wear it most time but I have also have a Galco King Tuk IWB that is a great product for warm weather. Combo Leather - Plastic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have carried Kydex IWB for years and gotten so used to it I forget it’s there. I stick to it primarily because the click retention feels better to me and I can consistently and smoothly reholster on the belt. I only found a couple leather rigs when I was shopping with the metal-ringed opening to allow that and didn’t like them.

There are potential scenarios where I’d have to re holster and briefly conceal again until identifying myself to police. For example if there was just a SHTF moment to deal with and now police are coming around the corner and I don’t want the gun out of my control, taking the rig out, putting the gun in it and putting it back is not something I want to deal with. With kydex I can reholster IWB almost as smoothly as if it were OWB.

·
Registered
521 Posts
For ccw leather gets the nod. For training sessions and competition where multiple presentations and re-holstering are required I go with Kydex. I will say that I am a bit surprised that the OP has come to the conclusion on Kydex based on one example from one maker. I would suspect that most respondents here have the ever popular Holster Box. We are not talking shoe box either, I mean BOX! Now if you're like my good friend, bmcgilvray who hates plastic guns and holsters and processes a wonderful collection of vintage holsters then I get it. Otherwise don't give up on Kydex and start making your own holster box.;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts