1911Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I still use Nelson, Alessi, Sparks and Null holsters from the "80's on a regular basis! no mold, stretch or other issues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree with mdell49 in that each has its application. I SO/ R.O. and prefer participants use kydex as I can often here the “snick” when the gun is secured in the holster. Don’t hear that with leather. That said, I use leather predominantly as it’s more comfortable for carry and when on the range all day.

my preferred leather makers are Warbird Leather and Privateer Leather. My preferred kydex is krounds and black arch for IWB hybrid holsters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I will say that I am a bit surprised that the OP has come to the conclusion on Kydex based on one example from one maker. ...Otherwise don't give up on Kydex and start making your own holster box.;)
I actually have a "holster drawer" :geek: :) :geek: It's got a lot of stuff in it. I've used leather for over 30 years and I just can't make myself like Kydex. Like apipeguy said above, "Kydex has no soul. Leather does." I just like leather and I really don't want to spend enough money on Kydex to maybe start liking it. I guess I just don't have the time, the money, or the inclination. As usual, your mileage may vary... :geek:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have kydex holsters, don't really care for them. I used to use a kydex IWB holster till one day I sat down in a metal folding chair. That rigid kydex holster got a piece of my fanny between it & the metal chair. I'll tell you it got my undivided attention!😨 Haven't used a kydex IWB since. I've gone to Simply Rugged Cuda with the inside out straps. You can use it OWB or IWB, nice holster & not as expensive as some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I acquired a Ruger SR45 a couple of years ago, and went in search of a holster for it, pretty much finding nothing except things like the generic Uncle Mike's padded nylon holsters. I did find a local company that makes Kydex holsters and was willing to find a way to make it fit even though they didn't actually have a mold for that particular pistol but knew someone who had one of the pistols that they could borrow. A month later I had the holster and a Kydex double mag pouch in my hot little hands. I wore them for about a month as EDC and hated every minute of it. Nothing felt right...

Fast forward to last summer, when I found a gentleman who produced a quite nice leather OWB holster for the pistol in just five days that is nothing short of a miraculous difference. He didn't have a mold for that particular pistol either, but I was passing through his part of the world and dropped the pistol with him on Sunday evening and had pistol and holster back the following Saturday...

I guess I'm just not cut out to carry a plastic holster...
Have one of each Kydex for the days I am in a Hurry to be There (Where ever there be?) and a Bianchi-7 like pictured. For every day general get dressed work and office carry. I find the leather more comfortable in the long duration carry and takes a presence out on the street that the "Oh just another Plastic Holster totter" doesn't. I also find the Kydex don't mold well as I get older and at times imprints parts I don't want imprinted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I acquired a Ruger SR45 a couple of years ago, and went in search of a holster for it, pretty much finding nothing except things like the generic Uncle Mike's padded nylon holsters. I did find a local company that makes Kydex holsters and was willing to find a way to make it fit even though they didn't actually have a mold for that particular pistol but knew someone who had one of the pistols that they could borrow. A month later I had the holster and a Kydex double mag pouch in my hot little hands. I wore them for about a month as EDC and hated every minute of it. Nothing felt right...

Fast forward to last summer, when I found a gentleman who produced a quite nice leather OWB holster for the pistol in just five days that is nothing short of a miraculous difference. He didn't have a mold for that particular pistol either, but I was passing through his part of the world and dropped the pistol with him on Sunday evening and had pistol and holster back the following Saturday...

I guess I'm just not cut out to carry a plastic holster...
Had a nylon holster. The seam binding thread snagged on the slide lock on my Taurus- almost ripped my pants off trying to get the pistol out! I wouldn’t buy another fabric holster that uses a seam binding for any use beyond storage. Not yet tried kydex. It seems to be stiff. No way it can be IWB comfortable! Leather is the only real material for holsters. IWB or OWB.

Reactions: moonshine44
21 - 30 of 30 Posts