1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done it! Yesterday evening I sold my only Glock. It is a Glock 22, tritium sites and two 15 rounds magazines. The only sad part is that it was my very first gun ever. I bought it used for $600 when the AW ban was still in effect, so those 15 round magazines cost me a bit. However, I would much rather my equipment go down in value and have no AW ban than the other way around! So... I sold it for $400. I sold it because I enjoy my 1911s too much, and I never shot the Glock anymore. The $400 will go toward a new 1911! :rock:

Hmmmm. Now to decide which 1911 I should get. I've been thinking about one of the scandium frame S&W 1911s. My SA 1911 performs very well, though it shoots a bit low and needs to be tweaked by the factory I think. Any other "next" 1911 ideas?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard much about the Kimber Warrior; in fact I've been hearing generally bad things about Kimbers lately. Is this one an exception?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
S&W is making one fine gun right now. I have one of theirs though not the scandiumn, but that is one that is on my list for down the line a bit. Mine is a basic stainless. Just had a Kart barrel and EGW bushing put into it and she now outshoots my Kimber mentioned below.

Don't sell Kimber short....both mine were series II and both functioned well and without a hitch through 1000's of rounds.....and my last one, a basic Custom II came with one of the best slide to frame and barrel/bushing fits I have ever seen on a production 1911. Last weekend the darn thing outshot a custom made "Caspian" at 7, 12, and 15 yards hand held. Three different shooters shot both guns and the Custom II took the Caspian custom three out of three times.....just by a hair, but that hair really counted. And to boot, that Caspian custom had an excellant accuracy reputation at the range and could shoot up there with the best custom's made when benched. Got me, maybe I just got a real good Kimber this time around. :cool:

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Of all the guns I sold, the Glocks were always the ones I sold with the least regrets. Not that they're bad, but because since day one a Glock has been a Glock. 20 years from now I'll probably still be able to buy one just like it or better (they keep making improvements every few years to fix flaws they claim don't exist).

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Bless you my friend, you saw the light and it will set you free from the brainwashing of the so called perfection. :barf:

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you want to "play", then I recommend a SA Mil-spec... cheap and has plenty room to grow.

I upgrade mine and most of the stuff I did myself (cool)! :)

·
Banned
110 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
I've done it! Yesterday evening I sold my only Glock.

Grasshopper, you have reached the next level of enlightenment!

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Here's some more enlightenment, grasshopper: A Glock is a Glock is a Glock. A 1911 might be a $3000 wunderpistolenheimer, or it might be a p.o.s. potmetal clunker made in the Phillipines. Just be careful WHICH 1911 you buy! :cool:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I think he just bought a 1944 WWII R-R, a Glock will never attain the Glory and Historical importance that a WWII 1911A1 has!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6285108 said:
I think he just bought a 1944 WWII R-R, a Glock will never attain the Glory and Historical importance that a WWII 1911A1 has!!!
Indeed.
That gun instantly became my favorite gun :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got my SA TRP Operator 2 days ago. I am very, very happy with my purchase. It took me about 1.5 months, from the day I researched this pistol, to actually getting it. I also have a Kimber Combat Carry, a Walther P99 9mm, and a Sig P228. While I am not putting down the quality of my Kimber, the fit and finish of the TRP Op is just above a notch over the Kimber. It is a very tight pistol. The slide to frame tolerance is very tight, which, I assume helps in accuracy. I put 200 rounds thru it right after getting it from the dealer without even breaking it down to look at the internal with zero malfunction.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Yeah, I agree about the 1911's storied history; hope that the world is never involved in another conflict that would cause a repetition of some pistol's earning a wartime reputation.

As McVay says, Glocks aren't 100% reliable, but then, neither is any other machine. From a combat standpoint, I see two major failures in Glock's design, and I guess my buddies over on GT would have double strokes if they saw me post this: Glocks are prone to failure to fire when there is debris and/or lubricant/solvent in the firing pin channel. In combat conditions, there's just no way to know that the "event" will happen before it happens. Those of us with I.Q.'s greater than that of an unborn rhinoceros routinely disassemble our Glocks' slides and thoroughly clean and degrease the firing pin channel. That's just the best we can do with that situation.

The other major "flaw" is the difference in the mass between the slide and the frame, causing Glocks to be more prone towards ill effects from limpwristing than other designs. Some folks claim that limprwristing doesn't exist. Harkey!! I've personally witnessed others' limpwristing MY Glocks. Even if a shooter is experienced, in a combat situation, one might not be in a position to properly, firmly grip his combat pistol. That could turn the Glock into a single-shooter.

Having said all that, I depend on a Glock for daily carry. Gave a G26 to my daughter when she was accepted to law school, and gave a G30 to my youngest son for his 21st birthday. If I were REALLY concerned about Glocks' reliability, I'd have given my progeny some other handgun for their s.d.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Having said all that, I depend on a Glock for daily carry. Gave a G26 to my daughter when she was accepted to law school, and gave a G30 to my youngest son for his 21st birthday. If I were REALLY concerned about Glocks' reliability, I'd have given my progeny some other handgun for their s.d.

:) :) :) :) :) . Good to see ya Walter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
I haven't heard much about the Kimber Warrior; in fact I've been hearing generally bad things about Kimbers lately. Is this one an exception?
Unless I'm mistaken, the Warrior is a non-series II. That's good IMO.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that you are correct about the Kimber Warrior not being a Series II.

Right now the 1911s on my wish list are:
* Springfield 9mm 1911 with target sights
* Kimber Desert Warrior
* Springfield TRP Operator (with Light Rail) OR TRP Pro (haven't decided here yet)
* I also want to find an old mixmaster RR to use as a shooter.

·
Registered
793 Posts
sikhed said:
Although the Glocks are 100% reliable, they just don't have character (or a 'soul' as some say)
I've seen more jams with Glocks than any other brand of pistol. Part of it is every one touts them as the perfect carry pistol, so people who really need to by a revolver get one, and part of it is Glocks marginal quality control. I worked for a department that issued Glock 23, and we usually sent 4 or 5 back to Glock a month for replacement and half the replacements didn't work either.

·
Banned
110 Posts
WalterGC said:
A Glock is a Glock is a Glock.
That may be, but one thing a Glock aint is a wunderpistol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.