1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone. I think I finally know which 1911 I'm going to get.

500 Guns here in Indy has a used Colt 1991a1 for $595. They claim it's not customized and is in very good condition.

Outdoorsman in Greenwood quoted me $699 for a Springfield GI. :confused:

A new shop in Mooresville, AAC, run by a guy who used to work for Plainfield Shooting Supplies has a new Springfield Milspec (specifically asked if it was the GI, he said no, it's the Milspec with the improved sights) for $559.

I'm thinking right now that I'll be arriving home tomorrow around noon with a Milspec. I think I'm going to trade one of my 9mms in on the Milspec. Then if I get some tax money back, or we get the tax relief the political wigs are talking about, I'll pick up the RIA Tactical for my second 1911.

I'd rather get a series 70 Colt than a 1991.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good deal , You wouldnt happen to have the name of the place in Mooresville would you. Never mind just seen it AAC.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i would love to find a colt at that price, heck even the old rollmarked one
(which i didnt mind too anyway, i just didnt like it not having the little pony on it.. lol)

and 699 is way too high for a springer GI45. even for a stainless one.

the milspec price seems about right for around here.

sounds like you have a couple of choices.. id say the go for the colt ( find out if its new or old rollmarks) just because i really miss the ones i had.. lol.. but i love my springer too!!!!

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not going for the HS. I'm still weighing the Milspec against a Taurus. I didn't like the description on how the RIA Tactical is disassembled in its review.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
well well well

Suggest Springfield Armory 1911s as a safe bet.
They offer the warranty to prove it.

Why does someone sell a Colt 1911? (because it isn't reliable?)
Taurus / RIA / High Standard; too little?

Carefully assess your intended use; high rd-ct competition-range gun?
Defense or duty gun?
Just to say "I own one"?

I suggest that basic Springfield Armory, Kimber, and S&W 1911s to be safe buys.
I post ONLY because I want new 1911 owners to be happy with their purchase, not frustrated.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
As I would rather see you with a gun you would really enjoy, I think you should pool your money and buy just one good 1911. Smith or SA, Colt, all would work.

If you shoot someone (justifiably) and the police take your gun, I'll loan you one of mine until you get yours back.
I'm in Indy every day.

How about that for an offer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Bill. That's a great offer! I went out to ACC at Mooresville yesterday and got the Springfield Milspec. Now I'm just waiting for Eagle Creek to open in March to do some shooting. I won't go to Don's, and after my last to visits to Pops, I'm not that enamored with going there to shoot anymore either.

EC is cheaper and I can shoot outdoors, something I prefer vastly to indoor shooting.

Thanks for the offer, and I hope to God I never have to defend myself or loved ones from anyone for the remainder of my days.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Marion County Fish and Game has steel shoots, Atlanta Conservation Club has 3 gun, steel, USPSA, lots of fun shooting.

Get out there and find out what you and your pistol can do.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why does someone sell a Colt 1911? (because it isn't reliable?)
That's a good possibility. But people sell guns, even good guns for a number of reasons. Maybe the owner needed cash, or maybe he wanted to try some other kind of gun and decided (mistakenly) to trade in the Colt?

If the used Colt looks good it should definitely be considered. They still build some great products in Hartford.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Easy way out. Just send me the money and I'll get you a good one. I'll even break it in for you (just be sure to send enough money).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really don't want a series 80 Colt though. I want to save up for a 70, and I also want one with the colt image on the gun, not one that has COLT across the slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts