1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) I emailed springfeild armory awhile back asking why didn't they make a XD in .45 and I got a reply saying that there researce and development team was working on it and that it should be out soon but thats all they told me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm just guessing that it's because a majority of LE departments issue 9mm or .40 ammo. I'm sure the .45 will come along soon.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Dudley

The XD was originally chambered in 9mm, and the frame was beefy enough to stand up to 40 S&W (Eastern European ammo is loaded a lot hotter than US SAMMI spec). The pistol was originally named something different and only had moderate sucess in the US, but Springfield bought the Croation company making the pistol (so I have been told) and renamed the pistol. The reason for the delay in a 45 pistol is probably the cartridge is a lot bigger than the 9mm/40S&W, so some parts will need to be scaled up and retested.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did SA buy the company, or just the rights to market the pistol?
Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a member of the HS 2000 forum(what now an XD is named)Who lives in Croatia. About 3 weeks ago he had a post where he went in the XD factory on a tour. He was told they can't produce enough XD's at this time to offer many more models. Some folks want the Compact XD in a .40, but is only available in a 9mm now, and alot of folks want it in a .45. By the way the barrels are produced by the same company that supplies Walther their barrels.

·
Registered
479 Posts
XD and the HS2000...great 9mm guns..

I believe there have been enough posts on the HS2000 topic to allow anyone who wants enough detail to fill a couple books.

It is very popular and very reliable. It share MANY features with the Glock 17 and Sig Sauers. It has a very nice grip angle and sits just a tad higher than a glock in my hands.

So, SA has in fact been working on a 45acp version for a while, but, the whole production facility would need to be either revamped or moved states side for this to happen.

All of this was supposed to occur last year...but that didn't happen.

My bet is that the 45gap get adopted before we see a 45acp XD. SA is keenly aware of what Glock does and does not want to get caught looking outdated.

IMHO.

-Warlock

1 - 6 of 6 Posts