1911Forum banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a Springfield 1911 range Officer Champion with the 4" barrel in .45 and a Sig P220 carry in .45. I like both but feel safer with the Sig since it has the decocking lever and carry with one in the chamber and 8 in the clip

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
After these past senseless shootings in public places I’ll bet the ones who put there 1911’s away are wiping them down to carry again. I’m thinking about it, im faster with magazines than speedloaders. I’d rather carry a pistol in 45acp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly. I think its going to come down to how well and accurately you can place shots. Ive heard that many "professionals" are now practicing on headshots and quick debilitating shots such as to the hip joints due to the amount of people now wearing body armor. If this were true (and im not saying it is) then it would only make sense to use what you are most proficient with using as a minimum a 9mm.

With that being said. Ive gone to my EDC of a glock 43 back to my Glock 19 w/a spare mag using speer GD 124gr +p or winchester rangers 124gr +p. I shoot both very well but feel better with the longer range accuracy of the 19 while still affording the best concealment for my body type and environment in South Florida... I have carried my .45's when weather permits an extra garment to throw over to help conceal My Springfield Mil Spec and now my Combat Commander and even though theyre heavy as hell, Im very very accurate with them... just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
I went to my local Walmart Super Center last weekend (after the shooting)
and it did feel like people were a little on edge, or maybe it was just me
feeling/being more alert than usual while shopping.

I chose to carry (IWB) my Kimber TLE/RL stainless 1911, which I converted
to fire .45 Super. I had 8+1 in the gun and 2 extra 8 round mags, so I felt
nicely armed. I (normally) would have been carrying my Kimber stainless
Compact (4" barrel / Officer size frame) but I thought it better to pack a
little more "heat" that day....

.....................Kimber TLE/RL .45 Super with night sights and
..................Underwood 185 Gr. XTP/JHP .45 Super (1300/695)

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
call me crazy but I've been thinking of going from 1911 to a Glock 21 for ccw
When you goto Walmart, check the homewares section. They should have a selection of G21s alongside the other Tupperware. :biglaugh:

More is not better, it's just more of the same.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
call me crazy but I've been thinking of going from 1911 to a Glock 21 for ccw
Did that for a while, my 21 is a phenomenal shooter and I generally shoot it just as well as any of my 1911s, better, in fact, at longer range for whatever reason.

But compared to a 1911 it is a bear to actually conceal well, so bulky and blocky, and the spare mags are even harder than the gun to conceal well, IMO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm hoping it doesn't pose too much of a problem to conceal. I carry a Model 64 with a 4" barrel everyday so the transition won't be as extreme as say a J-Frame everyday to the glock 21

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
OK, so I'm trying another pistol in place of my Colt 3" 1911
Defender. It's the CZ 75 Compact, and it's pretty good. It's a
true, hammer fired DA/SA and it has the smoothest damn DA
trigger I've ever shot in a DA pistol. Also, it is 14+1 and the
only difference (size) is the barrel is 1/2" longer-not an issue
for me with my deep conceal, crotch carry - accuracy is great.

I picked up this 99% condition CZ with the box, papers, 2-14
round mags, manual, cleaning rod for only $450, and I think
like this could be a permanent change. The 14+1 rounds of
9mm HST 147 gr +P with a spare 14 round mag is very good,
and it carries as good as my Colt Defender. It's a few ounces
heavier, but that isn't noticed with my custom built (by me)
deep conceal holster.

Here's a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I would recommend using a normal font and color.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I actually studied a subject of visual presentation of information a little. Still have some of Tufte's books somewhere, a good read. If you want people to read and see what you've to say, you might want to put it in the form that facilitates that. Yours doesn't.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I actually studied a subject of visual presentation of information a little. Still have some of Tufte's books somewhere, a good read. If you want people to read and see what you've to say, you might want to put it in the form that facilitates that. Yours doesn't.
Yes, I find that text very unpleasant to the eyes. If I had to read something in that format for any significant length of time, I'd end up with a headache. I just skip right over posts formatted in that fashion.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The FBI Miami-Dade shootout prompted a cartridge solution to a training and preparedness problem (that's my take when I read accounts of the incident). Same thing might have happened with .45 ACP or 10mm in play.

New recruits are going to be, or already are, a lot of snowflakes, so, maybe we need a fresh round of wars to harden the next generation or two.
Really?
No not really. Was definitely being facetious. I’m as ticked off as anyone about the obscene amount of blood and money wasted in Iraq and Afghanistan.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I compete with and carry Glocks. I also compete with 1911s and have one that is designated as my carry 1911 though I haven't carried it for a while. I have put forth the time and energy to become as proficient as I can be with both types of gun, and continue working hard on my skills.

Soon I'll get my first 2011. I'll never carry one of those, nor would most people.
Why not? Depending on the frame you pick it’s the same size as a G19 or 17 with less rake to the grip an a thinner slide area.
Any 2011 I buy will be full size with a big mag well on it, designated for USPSA. Not a carry gun.

·
Premium Member
13,761 Posts
2011 are fine as far as grip, you would have to try one because most of what is said about them (vs 1911 grip) is not correct. Also, if you are going STI, the poly-grip add's value absorbing recoil.

The main issue with carrying a 2011 is the quality of the magazines. There vary a bit in quality (from good to crap) and do require more often tuning than a 1911 mag. If you learn how to tune them as many do they carry-fine. Many people carry them.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts