1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting ivory grips for my Ed Brown Executive Elite. I like double diamond grips on a 1911 but the smooth ivory grips look great. For those who have them, any opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have both the checkered and smooth grips for my EB:

Both are beautiful - but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the smooth. The structure of ivory allows for a substantial grip on the polished grips even with sweaty hands. And if the ivory is of high quality then the depth and grain are more readily appreciated on the polished grips.

The checkered grips are by Dan Chinnock and the polished are from The Boone Trading Co.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Smooth. Ivory has a nice grip to it. Checkering would hide the beauty of them imo. Boone trading makes my favorite Ivory grips.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Note too that even if the ivory is "stabilized", checkering will enhance wear; it is dental material, after all.

And as both NDL and OhShot! noted, ivory has a good "tack" even when smooth, so checkering isn't even much of an added aid in gripping the pistol, not to mention that effective grip is mostly at the forestrap and backstrap with a typical 1911 hold, anyway.

I've got four sets of elephant ivory stocks on different 1911s, all smooth, all from Mike Poulin.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
My own vote for the ideal is front strap and mainspring housing checkered at a sharp 25 lpi and smooth ivory grips. I'm happy with 30 lpi on the front strap and prefer to install a mainspring housing with 25 lpi and a lanyard lug. I'm content though less happy with 30 lpi front and rear and smooth ivory. As I age and my hands get softer smoother checkering suits as my hands can be torn up by checkering they would have ignored when I was a horny handed son of toil.

Smooth ivory is my number one choice for carry though I will swap things out for high round exercises and courses - that's a good time to soak the ivory in mineral oil while it's off the pistol.

I would not be at all happy with smooth front strap and mainspring housing and smooth ivory on top of that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. All of the grips you posted look amazing! As soon as I get my grips I will post pictures.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Smooth for looks, checkered for anything other than an occasional shoot.
Smooth is fine for shooting because ivory has a natural 'grip' to it. I have two smooth - both for shooting - and a checkered for show.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
If a checkered set of ivory got bumped and chipped, knocking some of the checkering off or damaging same, you'd really be bummed. It is less easy to goof up a smooth set.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If a checkered set of ivory got bumped and chipped, knocking some of the checkering off or damaging same, you'd really be bummed. It is less easy to goof up a smooth set.
That's correct - and the smooth can be easily buffed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts