1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an IWB dual mag pouch that holds both magazines with the bullets forward.
The only IWB dual mag pouch I have found is the one from Milt Sparks, but the two mags are facing two different directions, which makes NO sense to me.
Anyone know who makes an IWB dual mag pouch that holds two or three mags all in the same direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The only IWB dual mag pouch I have found is the one from Milt Sparks, but the two mags are facing two different directions, which makes NO sense to me.
How about "compactness" that make any sense?

Making Allowances for the floorplate on the rear magazine to ensure that the mags are facing the same direction would add at least 1/2" to the overall width of the design. That may not seem like much and it wouldn't be for outside the waistband carry. But for IWB use where "comfort" will determine whether you will actually use the case or whether it will sit unused in your dresser drawer, that extra 1/2" can and does make a difference.

Are you worried about speed of the second reload or just being able to index the magazine properly while still in the case?

You are not going to index your magazines carried IWB in the same way that you would OWB. For one thing the magazines must ride deep IWB in order to be secure and are plucked out as opposed to grabbed when worn OWB. To set up the mags for IWB carry with enough height to index the same way you would OWB, you would find the case rolling out of your waistband.

Forget about speed with IWB carry of spare mags. The concept is to have extra magazines with you in deep concealment when going about your everyday business, not to shave nanoseconds in a match.

BTW, Andy Aratoonian does excellent work. I wholehardedly recommend him if he can provide you with what you need.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
2,895 Posts
I assume we are talking about the IPD? Seems like they could be made to face the same way with .25 of an inch extra.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that you would aquire each magazine the same way. The purpose of Concealed OWB and IWB carry of magazines is the same - to discreetly carry magazines to be able to reload your weapon in the quickest/most efficient manner possible. I would hate to think that I had to remember a different loading routine off duty than when on duty. We never put our mags on our belt differently because we weren't shooting in a match.

I can't think of a defensive situation where I NEED to reload and I wouldn't be concerned about speed. I could see where I might waste a second or two fumbling with a backwards magazine and that, to me, is a concern.

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
James,
Did I sound curt in my post? I appologize if I did.

I'm not saying that a double IWB mag case couldn't be made with bullets facing the same direction, I was trying to give the reason why we don't. I've made more than a few IPDs in that manner for those who were insistant and the feedback I got was that it didn't make enough of a lick of difference in accessability to warrant the extra bulk. A better option if you are insistant on carrying your spare(s) IWB, would be to go with two single IWB pouches and place them where they provide best comfort and accessability.

Read my post again where I mention having to set the mags deep for security. What I was trying to say is that you cannot withdraw a magazine from our IWB case in the same manner that you can a OWB. The deep set of the magazine in combination with the flap on the back of the case, precludes you from easily sliding your thumb between your body and the magazine and does not allow you to draw the magazine in the same manner as you would OWB. You end up plucking the mag from the case and then you end up having to do a little manipulation to get it indexed properly anyway.

All I know is that if we sell someone a holster or mag pouch and it isn't comfortable, then it either gets left behind or tossed in that box of unusable gear that all of us seem to have. I try and do my best to see that our gear doesn't get relegated to that box and I would rather pass on a sale than do a modification that I know from experience doesn't improve performance. Compactness is what we were aiming for with the IPD and compactness is what you get.

For the record, I agree that spare magazines should be carried bullets facing forward whenever possible, if for no other reason than for the sake of consistancy. Though I might add that I have reloaded enough times with mags facing both to and fro that I personally haven't found that to be a hinderance and I certainly dont feel there's anything that needs to be re-learned. Once you get in the habit of indexing the nose of the bullet on your index finger, it doesn't matter whether you draw the magazine from upside down and backwards for as soon as have the mag in your hand you will automatically index it properly with little or no loss of speed.

I generally don't recommend IWB carry of spare magazines anyway unless the user has no other preference. In most cases OWB carry of spare magazines is just as concealable. Most OWB cases only protrude a inch or less below the belt and are easily covered by the same cover garment you use to cover your IWB holster. Not only is OWB quicker to access, but it is more comfortable to boot.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think Tony makes a good point regarding mag acquisition for the 'opposed' carriers. The front mag is oriented bullets forward, affording one quick reload using the common techniques. I'd not worry too much about whether the rear mag is poised for yet another rapid reload exercise. Comfort IS probably more important than TWO tactical reloads, depending on your occupation. Consider it a third mag a whole lot closer than the vehicle glove box.

It's not my intent to push the horseshoe product, but note that the horseshoe carrier has the loop out toward the edges, not directly over the mags. Not sure how that affects comfort, but my intuition says it may be more comfortable.

I'm just Joe Q Citizen, so no spare mags is likely plenty, and a single mag carrier is tits.

Wouldn't a smooth stainless IWB carrier with a metal belt clip be slick? Can't get much slimmer than that. Maybe it could snap into the carrier with some pressure against the top round so that it sort of jump out an inch or so when released.

Byron

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info!

I am using a Watch Six Dual Talon and I LOVE it.

I am just looking for a dual mag pouch that will conceal as well as this fine IWB holster.

I do tend to think that a .25"-.5" increase in width would not be a problem. The THICKNESS is all I care about and that will not change.
I do not think that I will need that second mag ever (and if I do I can deal with indexing it in my hand) so it should not matter if it is backwards, but I always train with what I carry so I will be taking this mag pouch to Gunsite etc, and that means I will need to reload a lot in training, and basically that is more a concern than needing it in real life.

But anyway:
I have not used any mag pouch yet, so I am open to suggestions from those more experienced than I.
I was thinking that an OWB mag pouch would print too much and defeat the purpse of wearing such a concealable IWB holster. I don't want to have such a great concealment of my gun and have my mags give me away. Is it true that an OWB dual mag pouch would conceal well enough?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts