1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice several posts raving about how great the Braveheart is. Like most people who carry concealed, I have a boxfull of holsters that I have bought and tried but they did not meet expectations, including a Mitch Rosen ARG. So now, I am much more hesitant to buy without trying first. My only kydex holster is a Sidearmor 15 degree IWB for a Glock 19/23/32. It is a quality holster, the draw is fast, however I can't wear it for more than 2 minutes while moving around or walking, before my tucked in shirt is untucked around the holster. To prevent this I would have to wear a belt so tight I couldn't breathe. Is this common for other folks with a slightly oversize torso build ? Is there any reason the Ky Tac Braveheart (for a 1911) would be any different than the Sidearmor? I sometimes carry my Glock in a cheap belt clip IWB and it does as good as anything I've tried, but of course it is not very stable. I know there are numerous excellent OWB holsters for the 1911, but they are not as concealable as IWB. Here in Indiana we have a lot of hot humid weather in the summer, and a loose fitting t-shirt is the most I can stand to wear. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Here is my no risk offer to anyone with the need for a good IWB. Pay for the Alessi GWH rig up front via PayPal. Use it for 10 days. If it is not the holster I claim it to be, return it in a "reasonable condition" and get a full refund of the purchase price upon my reciet of the return.

No questions asked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Neal-

I am one of those members who voiced my enthusiasm for the Ky-Tac Braveheart. The Rosen ARG is one of the many IWB holsters I tried before I found the Braveheart. I have never tried the Sidearmor holster and am not familiar with its construction.

As I've stated in previous posts, the Braveheart is the best IWB for me. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be right for you. Everyone obviously has tastes and preferences of their own. For me, the Braveheart was head and shoulders above any of the many IWB rigs I've owned/tried. I have had no problem with my shirt coming untucked (I assume you mean undershirt as this is NOT a tuckable-style IWB). I do buy my t-shirts in an extra long length (big and tall stores) to ensure that there is enough shirt under the gun to make it comfortable. It sounds like I have a different body build than you- I'm pretty slim (6'1" 185#).

From what I have seen on this forum, most everyone who has tried the Ky-Tac has become a big supporter. That tells me that my experience is not an isolated one- it is a great holster.

You might try to find someone who owns a Braveheart near you so that you can "try before you buy". IDPA matches would be a good place to start. I have seen more and more Bravehearts at matches, especially in the Midwest (you live in Indiana?) as they are made in Illinois.

If you do buy, buy from Joe at SKDTAC.COM. He is the best internet merchant I have dealt with, and he stocks Ky-Tac for most popular guns.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dane, an excellent offer. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to try another leather IWB.

45 Shooter, yes I meant an undershirt or t-shirt tucked in the waist if I am wearing a jacket. It makes it a little more comfortable as opposed to against bare skin.
And our builds are different. I am between 5'7" and 5'8", 200 lbs., 40" waist. You are what I call "slender". In any holster catalog I have seen, they always show the holsters being worn by slender guys. I'm thinking it makes a big difference, at least for IWB wear. Thanks for the response.
P.S. I am not overweight, just undertall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dane,
Have been trying to decide on an IWB for my Custom Royal.
With Mr. Alessi's craftmanship and your standing behind what you say(I like that), I don't see how I can go wrong. Your 10 day trial period made up my mind. Very fair.
Birthday coming up soon. Expect an order from my wife and daughter.
Any advantage to 100% sharkskin?
Also very interested in your complete reliability package.
What would be the price to install Heinie Straight Eights on my Kimber(can answer to my e-mail or here)?
Love the simplicity and quite elegance of your "Gray Ghost", but that's a little down the road.
By the way, used to sit with my Grandfather,a Kentucky Col., and watch the Gray Ghost series every week on black and white TV. Col. John S. Mosby was a forth or fith cousin to my Grandfather(Bill Singleton).
Neal.....I'm 5'9" with a 40 inch waist, so I'll let you know how it works with us bigger waisted guys.
Thanks...and Stay Safe.......Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim 45 (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Neal,

We've been using the Braveheart as our only IWB since we tried it for the first time a few years ago. The Rok-Lok arm makes it extremely stable and may help address the shirt issue as it's wider stance will hold a larger area of shirt against your body. The Braveheart is as fast as it is stable, and we don't think you'll go wrong with it. Trust me when we say we've got Braveheart customers of ALL sizes, overshort and undertall

We are not set up with paypal at the moment, so if you want to try the holster out first, let us know and and we'll send you one. There are a host of reasons why we think it'll be different from your other kydex holster, but in the end, it has to be right for you. Review it on this thread within a few days, and we'll honor your decision as to whether it's a keeper or not. You can buy it if you like it, or send it back (in new condition please) if you don't. We have had only great experience with our web customers thusfar, so we're pretty trusting in the good character of net-savvy shooters.

Best regards,
Joe

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Hi Jim,
I'll email you off line for the pistol work. But to answer your question on shark?

Lou and I have decided no full shark holsters in the GWH. Too bulky and doesn't fulfill what we wanted in a IWB holster.

I am a pimp at heart when it comes to leather but it has to work first, look good second. Working as intended means more than anything to me. If you wait a bit I will have some INCREDIBLE new holsters from Lou to show off on list. So don't get in a big hurry if you want exotics

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a new Braveheart owner as well.I use it to carry my PO P-12 .45 on my 5'10" $190 build.I find the best feature to be the Rock Lock which keeps my holster in the same spot all day.The clips are spaced out as to make the rig more concealable.I just wear a wife beater underneath the shirt I'm wearing.The instructions recommend putting Formula 2000 inside the holster for fast drawing.I tried it and am amazed at the speed in which I can draw, but I can stand on my head and it will not fall out.I bought mine from Joe and he has a good supply in stock.He is a great businessman and has great customer service.But as 45 Shooter said, what is great for one person may not be good for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's very similar to Armor-All.It's an automotive plastic/vinyl protectant.It can be found in ant autoparts store.I suppose Armor-all would work, too but the instructions recommended Formula 2000.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pirate,
Sounds like it does for kydex what Rosen's Leather lightning does for leather.
Also, I just asked my 15 yr old son what the
sleveless undershirts are called, and he replied, "wife beater". LOL, I have never heard that term used, but I can understand how they came to be called that.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone that has tried the BraveHeart holster likes it. I wear it in the shop as a matter of choice, and I can choose to wear anything!

I recommend Formula 2001, next and superior to the Armor-All in the car care aisle. I've tried them all, and the 2001 works best.

My standard policy is: try it for 31 days. If you don't like it, return it for a full refund.

(No one has sent one back they didn't like.)

David

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks fo making such a great product, David.I am very pleased with the comfort, speed and ruggedness of my Braveheart IWB.Keep up the good work

C

·
0 Posts
I really love my Braveheart. But, variety is the spice of life, so I'm gonna have to talk to Lou or Dane about an Alessi rig, either IWB or OWB.

ps: With the cow problema in UK-- mad cows, foaming cows, is the price of leather going down as the cows do? Oops, bad joke.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Received my Braveheart today. Truly an outstanding piece of equipment. Skdtac was out of the government model, so I ordered one for my Glock 30. I figured if it could hide that "brick" comfortably and stay put it would be a winner. A winner it is!
I think the real pleasure will be when my Wilson rides in one.
Joe, let me know when those are back in stock.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey guys
I got the braveheart too and like it a lot , but you all have to check out the new Milt Sparks and Alessi dual watch talon six.
The add says it is probably the thinnest leather rig available, and it is dual talon clips and horsehide
This rig is also available thru Alessi.
It should be as good or better as the braveheart in staying in place with the two clips and can be worn with or without a belt.
http://www.miltsparks.com/Watch_Six_DT.htm

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well gentlemen, I am now the owner of a Ky-Tac Braveheart and I have to agree it's as good as everyone said it was. I can put it on and remove it without taking the belt out of the belt loops, so it's easy-on and easy-off. The Rok-Lok(sp?)can be removed, but I like it. It keeps the holster at the same angle all the time. The draw is "very" fast. Negatives: well, it's not as sexy as a fine leather holster with sharkskin or stingray trim, but hey, it's kydex, it's not supposed to be sexy.
Bottom line- I could have sent it back and not been out any money, but instead, I sent a check and kept the holster.

Thanks Joe,
Neal

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Neal,

Welcome to the club!

We're happy the Braveheart was able to address your specific needs.
For everyone who's been asking about availability, we should have some more in stock by next week. Thank you for your patience!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts