1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first IWB holster and it also happens to be my first leather holster and I have some concerns.

The holster is a Milt Sparks HR-LTD, it is smooth inside and out, is black and I also got the belt with it.

My pistol is a Colt 1991 full size Gov't, also never been in a leather holster...the leather has a good tight fit, the Colt kinda "snaps" into it, but when I wear the holster, the belt has to be very tight to support the weight and not "hang" down on that side. This makes it nearly impossible to draw and re-holster the gun.

In attempting to do so, the sharp edges on the pistol are cutting my new leather and rubbing the blueing very hard :(

Any suggestions?

---
Ray

Pic attached..

edit: added pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ray,
First stretch your holster to fit your gun. go here to find out how

Once the gun slides in and out of the holster easily, then try it again. If your gun is still shaving leather or giving you problems, then perhaps maybe you should give us a call for further advice. The shop is closed till Monday, but if you want to PM me with your phone#, I would be more than happy to give you a call this weekend. Let me know.

Tony

·
Registered
579 Posts
Kid Ray, the new 1991's are very sharp. Mine cut my SS2 when I first got it. I took some emery cloth to the edges and it fixed that problem.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Kid Ray, listen to Mr. Kanaley's advice on this. I have used this method myself, but only on other holsters as I personally have never had this problem with a Milt Sparks holster and I have many.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I think you should look into a heavy duty belt as well. Off the rack, department store belts are not thick enough to give the proper support.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Colts from the factory have VERY sharp edges, especially at the front of the slide. Unless you de-horn it, you're going to end up cutting up your holster.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys...

I have been in contact with Tony, turns out the metal reinforcing at the top just needed to be adjusted -- the mouth opened and tweaked little bit.

T. Kanaley -- thanks, great customer service, as others have stated.

Reddevil and sparky315 -- Yep the 1991's edges are a bit sharp, I may consider breaking the edges, do you guys have a pic of a blued gun that you have done that to?

tenntucker - I bought the Milt Sparks belt with the holster. the holster just needed to "break in" a bit, it is really beginning to fit me and feel good. Most of the problem was my inexperience with IWB holsters and leather in general.

---
Ray

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry Kid Ray. I bought a stainless 1991 because I knew the edges were sharp and I could dehorn it myself w/o refinishing it. I've heard of folks taking just the edge off with emery paper and touching it up with cold blue but that's up to your discretion.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You wear your farther forward that I do. You have it at about 3 o'clock, and I find it more comfortable at about 4 o'clock.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My HR-LTD took a little more time to settle in, (around the front loop), but it is much better now. I agree with decoria, for me, yours is worn a bit forward, but if it works...it works. Nice rig, congratulations.

Michael

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You're a better man than I am carrying that Government Model in an IWB holster! :D

Beautiful pistol and holster. I've purchased several excellent holsters from Milt Sparks over the years. :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
jfeenin,

Not much info on the site, look toward the bottom, "new products", I think. There is only a photo and asks that you call for info.

Michael

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks muchly. I am thinking of IWB for the warmer weather. Right now I carry my Kimber in a belt holster with an "FBI Cant" under a coat and it works OK but in the warmer weather I can't wear a coat and I want something I can fit under a loose shirt and I was thinking IWB might buy a little more room with the muzzle hidden. Still I am considering buying a bit smaller piece for warmer weather carry. A 5” 1911 is going to show through somewhat no matter what method you use. Still I carry a cell phone on my belt and frankly it makes a bigger lump than my Kimber so I am not so concerned about that.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That's a sharp looking holster. I've never seen that model in person, but it looks pretty darn good (not surprising for Milt Sparks).

Like you, I wear at the 3 o'clock position.

Just a note on Colts. My 1991A1 came with VERY sharp edges. I've never carried that gun, but did try it in a few holsters and it does cut the leather. It's not that the leather is cheap, but those edges are like razor blades. Having the gun dehorned will help that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts