1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Series 1 Kimber Royal and the grip safety will sometimes jam/stick in the depressed mode. The gun will still fire, but the grip safety will not release. After "jiggling" it and pushing upwards on the beavertail it will release, sometime easily, sometimes after messing with it for two or three minutes.

This is a obviously a concern because it is one of the two or three pistols I keep loaded at the house.

I am not as skilled as I should be taking it apart (other than field stripping for cleaning) but it's obviously time to learn...

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The grip safety is "tensioned" by the rightmost sear spring finger, the one that sticks out towards the rear of the gun. It sounds like this finger isn't lined up on the GS and is slipping off the edge of the GS and into the hollow part of the body of the GS. You may have to tweak that one finger a little. You are right, you should learn how to detail strip it and take a look.

Here is a site that talks about detail stripping a Series 1 Kimber. It starts out with the guy wanting to change his MSH and gets into going further. Good Luck.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar58.htm

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
It's time for a good naked cleaning anyway!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine did the same thing and a light stoning on the side(s) of the grip safety immediately solved the problem...

·
Registered
207 Posts
dissasembly

be careful to study how the parts go together or you may end up like some members with a "how do I get it back together" post. It really isn't that difficult though. I just disassembled my Stainless II, and though I was a little concerned after full disassembly, I put her back together without a hitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts