1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some of this stuff and cleaned my gun with it once, and man did it get the lead out. Lead is all I shoot. I was just wondering how often can I use it? Will it ruin the bore if I use it regularly, around every 400-500 rnds?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I'd like to know if anyone has definitive data on it as well. J+B claims it won't, but obviously it must have some level of abrasion or it wouldn't clean the bore.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use it from time to time and love it. I wet the patch with sweets for the copper cutting power and then smear JB all over the patch. That works great. I don't think it hurts the brl, but I still don't use it all the time. i also never shoot lead anything. I hated cleaning that stuff out of my pistols and now I only shoot jacketed rounds.

·
Registered
21,766 Posts
JB will cut steel, my FLG uses it for slide to frame lapping.
But it is very slow on a patch and will do a pistol barrel more good than harm. Same FLG says if you clean the lead out of a barrel periodically with JB, you will polish the steel to where it will foul less.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't have any hard data, but I think you'd have to use this stuff quite a bit before causing noticeable wear. I wouldn't use it for everyday cleaning, but I can't see it hurting every once in a while.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It won't hurt a barrel. You would have to spin the cleaning rod every day for a month to have noticeable wear. I use this stuff extensively on all my guns. If you wanna see results, e-mail me..

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I have "read" about this is the Benchrest boys use it to break in a new barrel, it removes microscopic burrs that cause build up in the barrel, it's a shoot 1 clean it process for the first 20 rounds. I do remember a caution about using it to much something about it breaking the corners on the land which will effect accuracy. I have used it but have no objective quality data to support it's use. I have a write up from a magazine somewhere
that I'll try to find if anyone needs more info e-mail me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts