1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Mozambique Drill" thread inspired this question.
I have most of Cooper's writings and enjoy them immensely. Although I don't agree with everything he says, I think that we all have a lot to learn from him.

I suspect Cooper has some very good stories from some of his many former students about encounters that they survived because of training or tactics learned at Gunsite.
He has hinted at some of these in his writings, and, probably,he tells the stories in more detail in person. Because some of these events occured in South America, they aren't common knowledge here.

Would any of you that have heard the Colonel
tell of any of these encounters be willing to retell the story in this forum?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by DTW:
<snip>
Would any of you that have heard the Colonel
tell of any of these encounters be willing to retell the story in this forum?
It would be worth the price of admission to sit around the Col. for a week if you didn't actually get to learn how to shoot! Fascinating things seem to happen around him that he seems to regard as commonplace. And he delights in watching people think.

One day at our first class, Tom Givens and I were sitting around the burn barrel (it was bad weather that week and we had everyhing from blinding snow to rain to the final day at 90+ degrees and sunburn). With the Col. and about 4 others (Jeff actually instructed all the classes bach then). I asked if he had heard of any shootings with the, then new, Speer 200 gr. "flying ashcan". He said, well a friend from Africa had reported in. He had been following 3 "terrs" and rounded a corner to find all three sitting over a campfire. Having a double barreled shotgun he dropped 2 of them with buckshot, dropped the scatter gun and drew his 1911 and shot the remining one once whith this bullet over 8 gr. of Unique (that is a bit over the book load). The colonel said "it did not exit and expanded to about .80 caliber". We all sort of nodded acceptance until one bright fellow said... "Ah, if it did not exit, how does he know how much it expanded?". The Colonel, who obviously had been waiting for that question just smiled and said "think about it"

Press on,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good story, Jim! Have any others?
Anyone else?

I suspect Cooper has enough anecdotes to fill another book or two. The "Commentaries"
are good, but certain topics could be explored in more detail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts