1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow IPSC shooter lent me his 10 VHS "The Burner Series" set by Terry Barnhart.

I have watched about the first for or five tapes and found it very interesting. Since I have a my first 1911 on the way (Kimber TLE RL II) I figured I would skip to the tape on reloading and cleaning. The 1911 maintenance is a mystery to me since I have been a Glock Only shooter for 10+ years. In my single days, I have even been known to dissassemble the Glock and throw the frame in the dishwasher. Pretty easy to care for a plastic...er polymer...gun, especially when it only has 3 or 4 oiling points.

Anyway...

I watched as Terry Barnhart disassembled his pistol, cleaned it, and lubed it as he put it back together. In the video he mentions that he lubes his guns more than most people would. It does seem like he uses alot of oil.

Since I am new at this, can anyone comment on his cleaning and lubing practices that has seen the tapes?

·
Registered
282 Posts
i think he oils it a lot since its a competition gun. very tight and accurate and needs a lot of oil for his specific purpose.

I happen to have an svi that can print less than an inch sanbagged. Its real tight but I dont use much oil on it just slide glide grease.
I only oil the contact points of the internal parts and safety.

you can buy it at

brianenos.com Lots of shooters use it

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I haven't seen the video, but I don't spare the oil in certain spots to reduce/delay wear.

My 1911 will run fine without it , but it's very expensive and time consuming to have them rebuilt.

I suspect with the amount of rounds he shoots coupled with the accuracy and fit he requires, he would be rebuilding much sooner without a lot of lube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't seen the tape you mentioned, and his cleaning methods. Try to get a tape from Wilson on their cleaning techniques, and compare the two. I've been using the Wilson tips on cleaning my Wilson gun, and have had no problems. They use very little oil/grease on their guns.
My gun is for duty/self defense and not a competition gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts