1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jessica Lynch criticized military for exaggerating accounts of her rescue and recasting her ordeal as patriotic fable.... MORE.. Asked by ABCNEWS anchor Diane Sawyer if military's portrayal of rescue bothered her, Lynch said: 'Yeah, it does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff. Yeah, it's wrong'...

Developing.....

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I've never been able to figure out how they were able to make a hero out of somebody who got injured in a truck accident, got captured, never fired a shot... and apparrently, to this day doesn't even remember what happened during the whole thing.

And remember there has been a steady stream of BS stories released since the incident. At one point, she had been in a fierce fire fight and killed three Iraqi's and got wounded by them. One person had even claimed the reason she was captured was because the Army issues the Beretta M9 (9mm) sidearm and that had failed. It's been shoveled pretty deep.

I'm glad she's OK, but it is ludicrous to make heroes out of people who got lost, wrecked their truck and got captured by the enemy.

It does seem like pretty obvious propoganda and the only reason for it is that she is a pretty "small town girl", and that plays well with the image the Army wants to portray. I am not surprised she's embarrassed by the whole thing. Who wouldn't be?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Not embarrassed enough to NOT write a book. (or sign her name to a ghost written one).

And I didn't see her refusing to accept the Bronze Star she received.

·
2,894 Posts
DHMeieio said:
I"I'm not about to take credit for something I didn't do," she said. "I did not shoot, not a round, nothing ... I went down praying to my knees. And that's the last I remember." Well, she did take credit for something she didn't do--she accepted an obviously ill-considered Bronze Star and cheapened the award for those who have legitimately earned it.
It wasn't her idea to award herself the Bronze Star and I think she has been honest about what happened from the beginning as far as I can tell. I don't see how anybody can be faulting her on the medal.

As long as she tells the truth in her book, more power to her. No matter what, she was injured by enemy fire while serving in Iraq. I wasn't over there driving a truck supporting combat troops so who am I to try and discredit her service.

How the military awards medals and operates in general is another issue well beyond Jessica Lynch...wouldn't you agree??

·
Registered
490 Posts
What amazes me more than the way the media AND the Pentagon blew this deal up is the way people have directed their ire at Jessica Lynch. Come on, did she ask for ANY of this? She was caught up in something bigger than herself.

I can understand guys who have BTDT at the "tip of the spear" having reservations about her bronze star, but I suspect many of those flaming her on this and other boards have never served a day, and probably still live in their parents' basement.

She WAS doing her JOB, she was injured as the result of an ambush in a war zone, suffered terrible injuries, and was probably gang raped by some the skankiest M...F...er's imaginable. Give the kid a break...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Marky Mark said:
What amazes me more than the way the media AND the Pentagon blew this deal up is the way people have directed their ire at Jessica Lynch. Come on, did she ask for ANY of this? She was caught up in something bigger than herself.

I can understand guys who have BTDT at the "tip of the spear" having reservations about her bronze star, but I suspect many of those flaming her on this and other boards have never served a day, and probably still live in their parents' basement.

She WAS doing her JOB, she was injured as the result of an ambush in a war zone, suffered terrible injuries, and was probably gang raped by some the skankiest M...F...er's imaginable. Give the kid a break...
Last time I checked, getting injured or wounded got you a purple heart, not a bronze star. My dad collected eight bronze stars and two silver stars (among many others). I think he would be surpried to know the former are now being earned by getting lost, getting hurt when you wreck your truck, and getting yourself captured.

The people who are criticizing the awarding of the bronze star are not criticizing Ms Lynch, they are objecting to the cheapening of the decoration.

·
2,894 Posts
Looking back, I see where this silly debate has already taken place in several threads...some of them closed.

Ditto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.