1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 - Get 'r done, but not nail the neighbor (Magsafe?):
Assuming that price is not an issue, is there a load that I can shoot in one room, with plenty of stopping power, that won't blow through the next room and endanger others?

2 - Penetration (FMJ?):
Also, if I do want to shoot through a wall or door, is a JHP as effective as a FMJ?

3 - Hunting (JHP?):
What is the best knockdown load for whitetail or boar in south Texas?

Also, does anyone know if wadcutters or semi-wadcutters are legal in Texas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
2 - Penetration (FMJ?):
Also, if I do want to shoot through a wall or door, is a JHP as effective as a FMJ?"
why are you shooting thru a door?and hunting I use soft points and not a
.45acp. and what is legal in texas I don't know.
:p

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - Get 'r done, but not nail the neighbor (Magsafe?):
Assuming that price is not an issue, is there a load that I can shoot in one room, with plenty of stopping power, that won't blow through the next room and endanger others?
Magsafe and other similiar rounds do not exhibit good penetration, and if you miss the target the person on the other side of piece of drywall is still in danger. Not saying there isn't a good use for them, but I'd think long and hard before depending on them. Plus with their price, you'll go broke shooting enough of them to make sure they are reliable in your handgun.

2 - Penetration (FMJ?):
Also, if I do want to shoot through a wall or door, is a JHP as effective as a FMJ?
Kinda, sorta, in a way. I wouldn't rely on much expansion happening.

3 - Hunting (JHP?):
What is the best knockdown load for whitetail or boar in south Texas?
A rifle caliber from a rifle. ;)

If you want to see some un-scientific, yet interesting info on ballistic performance check out - http://www.theboxotruth.com - I doubt the FBI will be adopting any of the tests, but there still some good info there.

Andrew

·
Registered
67 Posts
XL1200 said:
Also, does anyone know if wadcutters or semi-wadcutters are legal in Texas?

Thanks
i dont know for sure but...its TEXAS! you can buy guns there like you would buy chocolate bars!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ammo-legality questions are frequently the newb-question-du-jour over at Packing. org, but the only such ban apparently on the record is the screwball PRNJ no-hollowpoints law. In Texas, you should be god to go with whatever you like, as long as it ain't armor-piercin'. Now, there may be some questions if ya gotta use yer piece, but...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.