1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Jim and folks -

I've had a few questions about my stainless Concept V in the past, and plenty of folks have helped. But this one needs a Baer rep. to respond to. :)

Since purchasing this pistol (about some 800+ rounds ago) I've been a little alarmed at its fittings. Specifically, the slide is WAY too easy to rack. Even when the pistol is in battery, it takes next to no strength to move the slide.

I realize that stainless steel can't be fitted quite as tightly as a blued gun can, for fear of possible galling. But, the gun just doesn't seem "right..." can't really put my finger on it. A buddy of mine also has a relatively new Concept V, and his lock-up is much more noticeable (ie, it takes more strength to rack the slide) than mine. Both are with the standard 3" grouping.

So, two questions: 1)Given the somewhat terse description, do you have any idea what could be up? And 2)Would Baer be willing to take a look at it and verify its accuracy, etc?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

jas

------------------
The only difference between men and boys,
Is the size and price of their toys.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jason,I'll answer the second question first.We would be glad to take a look at it if you like.As to the first question,it's hard to say without looking at the gun.The slide stop pin diameter could be a little smaller on your con 5 .Let me ask you this how does the gun shoot?Is it as accurate as your friends? We have a couple different guys who fit barrels at the shop and a couple of guys who do final assembly. Even with all of use being trained the same way each person finds the way to do a barrel that works best for him.So when the gun is done one might feel a little different then another.But as long as the gun performs to the same standard is whats important.It's the same way with final assembly I can pull one of our 1911's apart and almost always tell who did the assembly just by looking at a couple parts. But when it's all back together it's hard to tell.In the end it's up to you if you don't feel it's right we would be happy to look at it.

------------------
Jim Budde

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Jim at Les Baer Custom:
Let me ask you this how does the gun shoot?Is it as accurate as your friends?
It doesn't seem like it, but it's been a good while since I've fired his Con5. I'll try to do a range date with both of them this Saturday and report back.

In the end it's up to you if you don't feel it's right we would be happy to look at it.
I certainly appreciate that, and may in fact take you up on it. But before I rush to FedEx... Is the slide fitment something I should use as a judge of the pistol's accuracy? How about the tightness of the pistol in full battery?

I ask because every other Baer I've ever picked up (including my 2 others) has been rock solid in full battery. You have to put forth a good amount of effort to unlock them and start moving the slide. With my Con5, it takes very little effort.

It's entirely possible that this is a false alarm. I just wanted to check in with you (and others) before I headed to FedEx.

Thanks sir!

jas

------------------
The only difference between men and boys,
Is the size and price of their toys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts