1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decide to watch a flick called Disturbing the Peace....and 3-minutes into it I had to turn it off. He was literally throwing the bullets into the bad guy's head (guess he just watched "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie). I hope Guy Pearce never gets pulled over by a Texas Ranger.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Absorbing recoil BEFORE pulling the trigger...

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's how I shoot. I normally get a good two-shot grouping with the rest of the shots being fliers. 😂

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
In about 1min per student, in a classroom, we simulate recoil for 1st time shooters. We do this so we can test whether a grip and position that looks okay is okay. But it also de-mystifies recoil, so students are not startled by it while holding a loaded firearm.

So how is it that with multi-million dollar budgets, so many movies cannot be bothered to get decent-looking shooting action? Not to mention often abysmal firearm safety practices by characters who are supposed to be highly trained at firearms.

Reactions: Glock1981

·
Registered
58 Posts
In about 1min per student, in a classroom, we simulate recoil for 1st time shooters. We do this so we can test whether a grip and position that looks okay is okay. But it also de-mystifies recoil, so students are not startled by it while holding a loaded firearm.

So how is it that with multi-million dollar budgets, so many movies cannot be bothered to get decent-looking shooting action? Not to mention often abysmal firearm safety practices by characters who are supposed to be highly trained at firearms.
Hey brother, how are you simulating recoil? The best thing that I've found is running the slide manually while they grip the pistol. I do the same with just the suppory hand to demonstrate both propper support hand placement, and how firmly obe should grip with the support hand.. Are you doing anything different?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Simple, few if any Hollywood movie executives, producers, or directors are the least bit familiar with shooting. How many old movies show the "Hero" constantly covering the trigger with their finger? How many show Old West gunfighters "fanning" their single action pistol? How many show the shooter jacking a round into the chamber of their shotgun or lever action rifle every time they go to fire it? The movies that do show realistic and safe handling and shooting practices are few and far between. I guess I'll go watch the Lone Ranger throw some lead at the bad guys with his Colt Peacemakers.

Grumpy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Simple, few if any Hollywood movie executives, producers, or directors are the least bit familiar with shooting. How many old movies show the "Hero" constantly covering the trigger with their finger? How many show Old West gunfighters "fanning" their single action pistol? How many show the shooter jacking a round into the chamber of their shotgun or lever action rifle every time they go to fire it? The movies that do show realistic and safe handling and shooting practices are few and far between. I guess I'll go watch the Lone Ranger throw some lead at the bad guys with his Colt Peacemakers.

Grumpy
Nah, my favorite is watching the old movies where they mount a "silencer," to a revolver! Hollyweird knows NOTHING about firearms!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts

What I find ridiculous is the Hollywood tards that make this crap and make tons of money on it to boot.....are the liberal dumb****s that want to ban guns entirely as if the world wasn't filled with rapists and murderers and such. That's what living in a fantasy land gets you.

Reactions: tgt_usa

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Hey brother, how are you simulating recoil? The best thing that I've found is running the slide manually while they grip the pistol. I do the same with just the suppory hand to demonstrate both propper support hand placement, and how firmly obe should grip with the support hand.. Are you doing anything different?

We use redguns before moving to disabled firearms. Grip and position taught with redguns. Before class, my associates and I practice smacking the “muzzle“, open palm, until the one acting as the shooter agrees it feels about like 9mm recoil. It needn’t be anything like precise. The main thing is does the student:

• stagger / step back
  • flinch
  • control it

At worst, three tries and they’ve got it. Including a student with only one leg: after the 1st cycle he used his crutch as a strut; rock solid. As you might imagine, his hands and arms were more than normally capable. Little old ladies learn it ... we’re pretty particular about seeing a good position and good grip before testing. We want each student to understand that he/she will be in control before they even see a working firearm*.

At trigger control and sight alignment we switch to disabled firearms. Also require easily operating the slide of a full-size pistol. Tiny, little, old ladies with arthritic hands learn to operate an m1911 unless they insist upon a Glock or a CZ75. My Beretta was in the classroom pistol case for years until a student cut her hand on the underside of the slide. With good technique operating a 1911 slide takes less strength than holding a baby ... of which even men are capable.

*- Real firearms used in the classroom are disabled. Still knocking off the rust of a 4(?)yr hiatus. So force of habit sometimes leads me to demonstrate how they are disabled. Dropping the slide on a dummy-round, only to prove that the gun cannot be loaded.
\ -:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yeah, that's bad.

Recently in my small amount of "dad's naughty movie time" I watched John Wick 1 and 2 and Collateral.

Then tried to watch a Michael Bay movie ... One of the Bad Boys movies I think ... and turned it off in about 10 minutes. I forgot how stupid Bay moves are. Too bad Dinero went so nuts politically and kinda ruined my favorite Michael Mann movie, Heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We use redguns before moving to disabled firearms. Grip and position taught with redguns. Before class, my associates and I practice smacking the “muzzle“, open palm, until the one acting as the shooter agrees it feels about like 9mm recoil. It needn’t be anything like precise. The main thing is does the student:

• stagger / step back
  • flinch
  • control it

At worst, three tries and they’ve got it. Including a student with only one leg: after the 1st cycle he used his crutch as a strut; rock solid. As you might imagine, his hands and arms were more than normally capable. Little old ladies learn it ... we’re pretty particular about seeing a good position and good grip before testing. We want each student to understand that he/she will be in control before they even see a working firearm*.

At trigger control and sight alignment we switch to disabled firearms. Also require easily operating the slide of a full-size pistol. Tiny, little, old ladies with arthritic hands learn to operate an m1911 unless they insist upon a Glock or a CZ75. My Beretta was in the classroom pistol case for years until a student cut her hand on the underside of the slide. With good technique operating a 1911 slide takes less strength than holding a baby ... of which even men are capable.

*- Real firearms used in the classroom are disabled. Still knocking off the rust of a 4(?)yr hiatus. So force of habit sometimes leads me to demonstrate how they are disabled. Dropping the slide on a dummy-round, only to prove that the gun cannot be loaded.
\ -:
Thats awesome. I hope that I can eventually get to the point where I have all of those tools, and training aids. Thanks for the ideas brother!

·
Administrator
73,850 Posts
Believe it or not I haven't seen a single one of the John Wick films yet. I haven't found them online for free and I'm too cheap to pay to watch movies anymore.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts