1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I've watched one John Wick movie and then I understood the ammo shortage.
If anything good has come out of this ammo shortage perhaps a few people have learned to actually try shooting at targets rather than getting their jollies doing one mag dump after another. I still remember a couple years ago when I saw a couple guys at the local shooting hole emptying one mag of 5.56 after another into the hillside as fast as they could. I'll bet they're now wishing they hadn't burned up all of that ammo like that back when it was still cheap.

Reactions: Glock1981

·
Registered
542 Posts
John Wick movies are "Gun FU".
I liked the first one, but the sequels I didn't care for.
Seriously what bad guy can pay a army of Henchmen?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Don't gotta pay em if they are constantly getting blasted by Wick.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
<snip> I also still crack up when they show someone constantly racking the slide on a pump shotgun before the person goes around a corner, every corner.
I know, right...EVERY CORNER!! Dont even get me started on the medical mistakes. Soap Operas, believe it or not, actually do a far better job in hospital realism than 95% of major motion pictures.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I know, right...EVERY CORNER!! Dont even get me started on the medical mistakes. Soap Operas, believe it or not, actually do a far better job in hospital realism than 95% of major motion pictures.
My wife is as all over this as I am over the gun stuff. Lord help us if we happen to watch a shoot em up medical show.

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
I remember, during South Africa's bush-war days, having a chat with a corporal who was attached to a Bushman (San people) unit - and he had a lot of trouble convincing them that the bullet doesn't hit any harder when they slap the trigger.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, but I decided to suspend belief and just go with it.

Was it the second movie where the two tour buses full of kitted-up killers arrives at the Hotel?

And are there any cops in the John Wick universe? If there are, their response time is measured in hours, not minutes.

And it seems like the assassins guild's only endeavor is to...kill other assassins in the guild.

It's over the top, beyond extreme, choreographed violence.

And they are all awesome, for what they are. To me, at least.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
And are there any cops in the John Wick universe? If there are, their response time is measured in hours, not minutes.
“Just think of it as evolution in action.”
- Larry Niven

... though in the opposite sense that he used it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, but I decided to suspend belief and just go with it.

Was it the second movie where the two tour buses full of kitted-up killers arrives at the Hotel?
That would be number 3

Yeah, he's apparently acquainted with one in the first movie.

It's over the top, beyond extreme, choreographed violence.

And they are all awesome, for what they are. To me, at least.
Good old-fashioned movie blood, gore and violence... 🤠

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That would be number
That part was the biggest "what the heck" of the series for me. Not the bus full of bad guys, that's basic shoot em up movie fodder.

It was him choosing a 9mm sub gun after being told the bad guys had "upgraded armor" when a .308 Galil was just sitting there on the table.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Wick movies are designed as extravagant right? Doing the impossible with the unlikely. That's Wick's trademark. He's the best because he can make anything he has work in his favor. A 9mm punching through three inches of hardened plate steel? Wick can get it done!

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
The Wick movies are designed as extravagant right? Doing the impossible with the unlikely. That's Wick's trademark. He's the best because he can make anything he has work in his favor. A 9mm punching through three inches of hardened plate steel? Wick can get it done!
Even a pencil....

"Baba Yaga"

Reactions: ravenor

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Decide to watch a flick called Disturbing the Peace....and 3-minutes into it I had to turn it off. He was literally throwing the bullets into the bad guy's head (guess he just watched "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie). I hope Guy Pearce never gets pulled over by a Texas Ranger.

👀 looks like he hit the hostage 2-3 times

·
Registered
9 Posts
He was using rubber bullets and bouncing them off the floor into the bad guys head.
Laugh all you like, I have the bullet that ricocheted off (presumably a wall) something and hit me in the head. It lost the jacket and is a mushroomed out lead slug.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Actually back in the day people weren't as safety conscious as they are now.
Ain't THAT the truth! Today's preoccupation with safety is sickening. Car commercials don't advertise much else anymore...HEY AMERICA...Learn how to friggen drive! Sorry if you can't control a car all by yourself.

I started hating the soccer moms of America clubs back in the 80's. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) MADD was one of the first I remember because those ****'s got my beloved three-wheelers banned!

It seems some really stupid people where putting their 3 year olds on a three wheeler and the kids got hurt or killed. My best reply to that is ...DUH! Yup, they hurt people...so does downhill skiing. That started my lifelong hatred of Mom's clubs and hearing the words "I don't want anyone to every have to go this" or some bleeding heart variation thereof.

Rant over...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Interestingly enough I was just rewatching 1 and 2 and noticed another difference from more classic action movies.

Counting rounds, if anything, leads to round counts less than his mags actually have vs the infinite magazines of standard action movie tropes.

Especially in #1, several scenes might actually show the accurate number of rounds prior to reloads.

Of course, I may have enjoyed a sniff or two of Four Roses Yellow Label, so my counting may be a smidge suspect :)

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
<snip> And are there any cops in the John Wick universe? If there are, their response time is measured in hours, not minutes.</snip>
In JW universe, the police have been de-funded. Only a skeleton crew of unarmed officers remain to respond to traffic citations, domestic disturbance and noise complaints.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interestingly enough I was just rewatching 1 and 2 and noticed another difference from more classic action movies.

Counting rounds, if anything, leads to round counts less than his mags actually have vs the infinite magazines of standard action movie tropes.

Especially in #1, several scenes might actually show the accurate number of rounds prior to reloads.

Of course, I may have enjoyed a sniff or two of Four Roses Yellow Label, so my counting may be a smidge suspect :)
I agree. He does run out at the appropriate times and he's not infallible in so far as he hits with precision each and every time. He does change mags at the appropriate round count more often than not. He has good form too. The film runs a bit faster per frame than average during the gun fighting scenes however, this makes it look like he's awesome deadly.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts