1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jojoba oil is said to be a substitute for Sperm Whale Oil and I was wondering if anyone uses it on guns?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've seen jojoba oil sold at a local health food store for more than the latest generation gun lubes. Why would you want to use it? Doubtful it contains any of the necessary EP and AW additives...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The hype is that sperm whale oil will "molecularly bond" with the metal, so the lubrication stays put where it's needed. This sounds like a good thing. It was pretty much state-of-the-art in 1911.

The jojoba oil is supposed to mimic this quality. I don't know why we haven't seen it's use touted.

Maybe someone somewhere has done a comparison, and found it wanting in some regard. Or equally likely, maybe nobody thought of it.

If you can find some, why not give it a try? Let us know please...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
No flame intended, but what does "molecularly bond" mean? What does this bond produce? Ferric Spermide? If you want to go the bio-based route, why not try castor oil, whose lubricating properties are legendary. But even todays castor oil formulations rely on an additive package tailored for a particular lubricating regime...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was hearing alot about jojoba oil farms 10 or 15-years ago, but haven't since then. A very interesting point--how well would it work? I'll run a search on products currently being sold. If I find anything I'll post it. Again, a very interesting topic! Thanks, smity

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jojoba oil
CAS Registry Number: 061789-91-1

So far, just hit on a bunch of personal grooming products, and one product for the control of mildew on grape vines (!). Couldn't find anything automotive, anything pertaining to lubricants, or otherwise. I'll search farther, but it doesn't promising. smity

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was interested in this as a substitute for more toxic oils and lubricants. Jojoba oil is used in some machinery and in antique clocks. I purchased some so I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Roger that, PAT

You tell 'em Pat (gigi*riva)

He's right on the money.

JJ oil is a liquid wax ester (which means it's soluble in water), just like coconut oil, sesame seed oil, etc.

There is NO molecular bond (which sounds hi-tech and mysterious), just a fatty acid that attaches to the surface, as they all do.

Today's "Hype" is just old science, meant to confuse you.

The thing that ponders my arse, is the fact that there are good products out there, designed for firearms usage ( ie http://www.fp10.com, corrosionx, breakfree, hoppes, etc. ) and yet, folks feel compelled to try and discover something new; sort of a "lets make a pancake out of sawdust" deal.

If there's one thing that I hope I can convey, is the fact that some of those "exotic mixes & wonders" you may put on your guns, just may eat the metal and polymer components alive, under the right conditions. That's one hell of a price to pay for "personal alchemy".

Just sound advice: Stick with what's KNOWN to work, and leave the experimentation to the guys & gals who know what they're doing ( or appear to...:biglaugh: )

More advice: There's more damned hype in the marketplace and rapidly filtering into this industry than I have ever seen before. New products that go "slip" in the night, offer calcium carbonate salts (abrasive) for your gun....but they're not telling you. The list goes on....

For those interested....we've got some new corrosion data on the website.

http://www.fp10.com/TidewaterTest.htm

http://www.fp10.com/4producttest.htm

If you care to spend a couple hours reading the actual reality of the lubrication regime, on guns or otherwise, visit our technical site:

http://www.fp10.com/techinfo.html

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
171 Posts
jojoba

I use Jojoba on all my guns, I give them all massages and put cucumbers in the barrels to enhance their vitality :D Maybe I should go hug a tree or something. Just kidding, but I know you knew that.
Even though I got into a little bit of an argument with Firepower a few months back, I'll apologize now and say that FP-10 is good enough to keep your most prize possession from wearing out for at least the rest of your life. I got some from him to try. I liked it, and since your into the natural jojoba type lubes you will appreciate FP-10 sweet cinnamon smell.
:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
FP-10 ingredients:

Synthetic Hydrocarbon base oil, a.k.a. Severely hydrotreated heavy naphthenic petroleum distillates (CAS 64742-52-5) --66%; also found in Marvel Mystery Oil, Three in One household oil, Chainsaw bar and chain lubricants

Synthetic EP Oil Additive, a.k.a. Chlorinated Paraffin and Hydrocarbon Waxes (CAS 63449-39-8) --30%; also found in transmission and power steering sealants

Lubricity Additive, a.k.a. Dialkyl(C1-C14) dithiophosphoric acid, zinc salt (CAS 68649-42-3) --1%; also in STP Oil Treatment

Corrosion Inhibitor a.k.a. Calcium sulfonate (CAS 61789-86-4) --3%; also in STP Stop Smoke Oil Additive

Interesting! smity

http://www.shooters-choice.com/msds/fp10.pdf
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm

·
Registered
363 Posts
Public Knowledge...MSDS

Smitty,

you forgot ....

http://www.mpc-home.com/MSDS/FP-10 MSDS.doc

These are chemical familys, and not formulations.

The most INTERESTING thing you'll find, is that section II of the MSDS sheet is for "Hazardous Ingredients", whereas, hazardous includes anything to do with fire, health, or the environment.

We go further than the law demands, which is listing all chemical groups, however, you don't see any harmful ingredients that are SARA title III listed. No volitiles....cause there are none. We list those chemical familys as a courtesy to all.

Actually.....what's your point?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey, Firepower, as to forgetting, I NEVER KNEW! But, thanks anyway.

As to your question: just that, well, it is interesting! Had my organic chemistry professor (ca. 1980) shown more properties/applications while rambling on, I'm sure I'd have remembered more. The Prof. did have everyone say their name aloud, and then immediately (first day of class, mind you) recite everyone's name back at us. Put us all in our places. That I remember!

Firepower, there is no patent on knowledge. Don't let the fact that someone might be intrigued bother you.

What I'm left wondering about is what properties (anti-corrosion, anti-friction, anti-oxidation, anti-smoking, etc.) are addressed while formulating firearm lubricants. When reviewing (briefly) which products shared which ingredients, I noticed that there does appear to be relatively few chemical "families" involved. Interesting. No?

Now, back to those of us that want to do a final "dip" in mineral spirits/ FP-10 (earlier thread); what's a good ratio? Assume, if you will, that the gun will also receive spot applications of FP-10/ grease in the usual places, during and after reassembly. Interesting? Eureka!

Pax, smity

p.s., what does "chlorination" do to the properties of paraffins?
(Hypothetical: What would it do to jojoba wax? Don't answer!)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Smity,
George has some interesting reading in the technical section of his web site about "Boundary film lubrication through advanced halogenation techniques/oxirane acid scavenging and organo-metallic substitution".
Better yet give George a call.He will talk your ear off about it as he is not afraid to disclose details about his products and technical data.
There is also a lengthy thread here on this site that is a interesting read on the FP-10 that was done sometime back.
Thought you might be interested.
Raymond

·
Registered
363 Posts
smity said:
Firepower, there is no patent on knowledge. Don't let the fact that someone might be intrigued bother you.
Pax, smity

p.s., what does "chlorination" do to the properties of paraffins?
(Hypothetical: What would it do to jojoba wax? Don't answer!)
Well smity, it doesn't bother me in the least, and as I have on my technical page at fp10.com, "Scientia es potentia"....Latin for "Knowledge is Power"....how true. I offer more here than any other site on the internet, with explanations as well. You should visit it sometime. http://www.fp10.com/techinfo.html

My question to you was out of pure curiosity, as you only remarked "interesting" after posting the MSDS info on the forum.

So,....what's intriguing to you? Maybe I can help you in clarification.

At your service...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.