1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, y'all,

I'm new here -- be gentle. I joined the world of 1911s a few months ago -- this weapon has been a traditional staple in my family for generations. Every man on my father's side got a 1911 (either gifted or purchased themselves) when they reached their early 20s. Well, I went ahead and did the same thing.

Here's what I started out with:

Here we are, about 3 months later:

So far, I've got an ambi safety, a drop-in magwell (the WC drop-in that fits on the lugs underneath the grips) and a silver WC bushing (just 'cause I think it looks sexy). Next up will be an elevated grip safety (like the Ed Brown or WC "enhanced" grip safety -- it feels good).

Drop your thoughts/opinions/advice/wise musings -- man, this thing is an absolute pleasure to shoot! Happy New Year, y'all!

- SharkQUIRKS

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my first 1911s was a Custom II. I didn’t know enough then to even change anything. I like yours. The grips look great with the two tone finish.
Thanks, bud -- yeah, I've always been a sucker for pearl grips, but I didn't want white mother-of-pearl. When I found these black pearl ones from Pachmayr, I knew they were the grips for this weapon. They're not as "grippy" as others' I've tried or have had on the weapon before, but it's enough for functionality -- the payoff for me is how sexy the thing looks.

When I install the WC/Ed Brown grip safety in a couple of weeks, I'm considering swapping the WC drop-in magwell for another magwell with a different checkering pattern. I'm getting ready to submit a Form 4 with BATFE for a suppressor, so I'll be adding a threaded barrel at some point in the future.

This isn't gonna be my only 1911 -- I'm considering which route I'm wanting to go next (WC, Les Baer, RIA, etc.), but I'm really giving some thought on building my own from scratch (or sourcing parts from the aforementioned manufacturers and making a Frankenstein 1911). Thoughts? :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Congrats on your new Kimber! I'm a Kimber fan and yours is a nice one. Also, it is fun adding things to personalize it and make it your own. I only have one caution. It's like in my former days with my Harley Davidson motorcycles and I would buy a new Harley and immediately replace the pipes and other parts with customized accessories. It does very little to add value, and the parts that you pull off are now basically worth nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on your new Kimber! I'm a Kimber fan and yours is a nice one. Also, it is fun adding things to personalize it and make it your own. I only have one caution. It's like in my former days with my Harley Davidson motorcycles and I would buy a new Harley and immediately replace the pipes and other parts with customized accessories. It does very little to add value, and the parts that you pull off are now basically worth nothing.
Thanks, man! Like I said in the OP -- 1911's are a bit of a family tradition. When I started browsing around, I immediately fell in love with Kimber. Something about just the name evokes a certain level of badassery and "yee-haw" (especially with the frame stamp -- Yonkers, NY USA).

The parts that I placed on this weapon are either for my personal preference after carrying it stock for a while, or they're aesthetic; the ambi safety, for instance. I'm not a lefty, but I like the idea of being able to discreetly check the safety on my weapon, or flip it off and get into the fight, if necessary. The bushing and magwell are totally aesthetic -- I just like the silver (I guess I could've just painted the original bushing, but c'est la vie lol). I have zero intention on selling/trading this weapon -- this is gonna be the gun that, 50/60/however many years from now, my grandkid is gonna have and know his Papa by.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
I have / do own(ed) dozens of Kimbers and enjoy them all. They all start out the same and then have additions or subtractions to make them all different. I think the 2 tone was one of the best decisions Kimber ever made. I am a magwell guy myself. You did well.. Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fine choice! I too like the Custom II, though these days she's more of a "Wilber" than a Kimber. Firing pin, extractor, barrel bushing, springs, control levers, grip safety, round butt MSH, recoil parts, and fire control internals are all Wilson Combat. The short flat trigger is from Thunder Mountain Customs. Currently she wears a set of Crimson Trace grips, though the G10's in the picture are some of my favorites. I also sanded the slide flats to give it that eclipse look.

Good luck with yours, shoot straight, and stay safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.