1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out about this on an Illinois gun rights forum:
An Orland Park social worker at JERLING JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL in Orland Park ordered a kid, who attended an NRA youth schooting camp, to remove his NRA shirt because they said his shirt promoted guns. This particular shirt features a bald eagle, the words "shall not be infringed" and "NRA". How did we get to this point where people don't even understand the first amendment?

They have brought this issue up to the NRA who has contacted the school.

If anyone else wants to voice their opinion to the school, I think it would be a great idea:

JERLING JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
8851 151ST ST
ORLAND PARK, IL 60462
(708) 364 - 3700
ORLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT 135

I'm trying to dig up more information about this now...
I have found the school's email addess also. If any of you would take the time to give the school administrators a quick U.S. Constitution lesson, I would appreciate it: [email protected]

Supposedly, the NRA won a lawsuit over a similar incident in Virginia a while ago. Hopefully, they'll go on the offensive here, too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have written them also, used big words like culture and diversity. Unfortunately I suspect all our commmunications just end up in the trash bin without much interest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
what some people fail to understand is that theres a difference between "promoting guns" and "promoting gun violence". the NRA is all about gun safety, education, and legal sporting, not shooting people and commiting violent crimes...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here is a copy of the email I sent.......

Have you ever hit your thumb with a hammer? Did you blame the hammer for your hurt thumb? No. YOU are the one who hit yourself. You can't blame the hammer. So why then do so many people blame guns for killing people instead of blaming the one doing the shooting?

Why did a kid get into trouble for wearing an NRA shirt? The shirt had nothing offensive written on it. What's the big deal here? Why do people constantly blame guns for people dying? I challenge you. Take a gun, load it and stick it in the middle of a room. Let it set there until it goes off. Here's the catch. It must go off without any outside force. Meaning you can't pick it up and fire it or throw things at it, etc. How long do you think it will take to go off? My bet is a really long time. Let me tekk you the answer. NEVER. A gun is a tool. No different than a shovel, knife, ball point pen, shears, ruler, micrometer, and so on......Lets stop punishing the innocent and start punishing the guilty.
Christopher Rowley

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jazurell said:
Letter sent to the school and e-mail opinion sent to the Star newspaper. For those interested in sending an editoral opinion: [email protected]
Good call finding that paper--from this column, it looks as if there's at least some pro-gun sentiment at that paper for us to work with.

I very much appreciate everyone's support here, folks--you guys :rock: .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sort of proud of my little "gem":p

Dear sir of Madam,
I heard about the event that recently occurred at you’re school regarding a student being forced to remove an NRA shirt. This confused me. Having been in high school just a few years ago I realize most schools have policies against clothing which advocates violence, drugs, crime, sex etc. However, I don’t understand why this particular shirt was a problem. The NRA doesn’t advocate violence and I don’t feel this shirt would cause any disruptions of the learning of other students. The way I see it, there is two possibilities. 1. There is more to the story then I know (ex: some schools prohibit any shirts that promote ANYTHING). 2. One or more of your staff members is being prejudiced based on their political views. Having personally been the victim of political discrimination by teachers and administrators on multiple occasions in both my high school and college career, I suspect the latter. If my presumption is correct, I hope the student goes through the proper channels and seeks legal action. In my opinion discrimination based on political views, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation has no place in schools. Furthermore any faculty who exhibits such behavior should be fired.
-Andrew D. Wargo

·
Registered
637 Posts
yeah, no reply here either. I get the feeling they don't even read them, but maybe they at least get annoyed at all the e-mails with the issue in the subject heading. I can't remember what I put for my subject, but it was pretty subdued, I was hoping I'd fool them into actually reading the letter.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can see it now....."Today class, were are going to be talking about Amendments 1-10 of the Constitution. We will be discussing how these Amendments came to be known as the Bill of RIGHTS.... um, excuse me, you with the NRA shirt on, take it off immediately!"

·
Registered
534 Posts
I resent mine yesturday...still no reply.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

My now 18 year old son's first school was in Decatur Alabama. The school there worked the "problem" of what sayings were allowed on t-shirts etc by making it against the rules to have ANY clothing with ANY slogans of any kind. For example Polo shirts with the polo guy on them were not allowed. No aligators either. The only exception to this rule was on Iron Bowl day, where you were required (it was well past allowed) to wear either an Auburn, or an Alabama t-shirt, or sweatshirt to school. Didn't matter if Mommy and Daddy went to Vanderbilt ONLY Auburn, or Alabama shirts.

Mike

·
Registered
574 Posts
STONES_SS said:
I can see it now....."Today class, were are going to be talking about Amendments 1-10 of the Constitution. We will be discussing how these Amendments came to be known as the Bill of RIGHTS.... um, excuse me, you with the NRA shirt on, take it off immediately!"
I'm beginning to wonder if all of our schools will degenerate to the point where the 1st and 2nd Amendments have no meaning. If you thought school violence was bad, you haven't seen anything yet!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Holy ****!

That is my Jr. HS

I can look out my old bedroom window and see it. I wish I knew which teacher or social worker it was. I have an idea....

I am ashamed to say that I attended it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
kjhof said:
Good call finding that paper--from this column, it looks as if there's at least some pro-gun sentiment at that paper for us to work with.

I very much appreciate everyone's support here, folks--you guys :rock: .

Orland Park is a very strange town. The people are very conservative when it comes to Economic policies and taxes. Gay rights, education, and the enviorment they are very liberal. Guns are a toss up. The Secret Service man who took a bullet for Reagan (Mc Carthy) is the top LEO in the Orland Park Police Department.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts