1911Forum banner

Junk the LDA?

968 5
Hello,
I have a question for the group. I have two P14.45 LDA's, serial #'s 3XXX. Both of these have had mechanical failures after a few hundred rounds. On one of them it has happened twice. Both pistols, same problem. Basically after firing a round the trigger remains locked in the rear-most position. The slide cannot be cycled and nothing can get the trigger loose. The pistol becomes a less than adequate club. Para has repaired the pistols, no problems, by replacing the internal guts. My problem is this. I like the feel and function very much when it works, but I don't think I could ever truly trust these pistols. I thought about trading them in (wouldn't feel good about selling them to anyone) but I'd take a big hit on the deal. What do you all think? Junk 'em or live with 'em? Thanks alot, Brain
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
I also love the way my 12-45 LDA shoots and feels. However, the gun has become very unreliable with multiple failures to fire. I emailed para-ordinance with my problem and got no reply. What did they do to your gun and how long did it take them to get it back. Did they fix the problem?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy,
Para customer service was fairly good. They promply took both guns and replaced the "DA parts" in both pistols. I had to pay one way shipping. Currently, both are functioning fine- I just don't know for how long. My pistols functioned fine until they totally locked up rendering them inoperable. 44

· Registered
211 Posts
Are they any good? How do you shoot with them? How's the trigger? Is it sweet and smooth? Are you hitting your targets? Do you shoot better with them than standard 1911?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I shoot both pistols quite well. They fit my hands perfectly. I love the triggers. It's smoother than many SA's I've tried and not much heavier. I guess what it boils down to is: can I trust them long term. Brain

· Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by BrainFreeze:
I guess what it boils down to is: can I trust them long term.
Can you trust any gun for the long term? I have encountered more problems with guns that I thought were dependable over the years than I can shake a stick at.

If you want to get really nauseous try this on for size. During a time that we were playing "Authorized Firearms Policy" shuffle on a former department of mine; I was forced to give up a Bob Chow S&W Model 19 that I loved for a S&W Model 66 that the department was issuing. I know, the only difference is the steel, but that's bureaucracy for you.

Anyhow, I was issued a brand new 66 by my sergeant and told to hit the street. I complained that I hadn’t had the opportunity to test fire the gun and was told, “that’s tuff, calls are pending, and it’s a brand new gun so we know it works.” One month later we got to the range and guess what, it was a great stainless steel paperweight. The cylinder ratchet was busted and the cylinder would not turn.

The moral of the story is nothing is certain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.