1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a Glock 19 and 22 so I thought it was time to buy a 1911. Not having a lot of money on hand, I decided on buying the black PT1911 for I think $470 off of Buds. I really like the looks of it but thought of changing the hammer to buying a skeleton one, so I have three questions about the pistol;

1.) What nights sights are recommended?
2.) What's everyone's opinion on the best training rounds to use where they've had the least feeding issues with?
3.) Looking for Recommendations on a skeleton hammer that works best for the Taurus.

Regards...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try painting the dots in the sights with luminous paint and giving it a good light source when you intend to go out in the dark until you are sure the gun will function correctly (well it isn't a Kimber so chances are much better that it will right there!) and see if you like what you see.

I love WWB for plinking and general screwing around with a new gun. If there is a problem, it aint the ammo.

The Taurus hammer on my 1911 looks like the Kimber hammer, so any weird looking hammer you like the looks of should work fine.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Most ignition parts on a 1911 has to be fitted to work right. Congrats on the new gun, hope you like it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shoot that thing for a while before your start pouring money into it. I'm not down on Taurus, just make sure it runs good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like American Eagle which can be bought around $33 for 100 rnds at Walmart. WWB seemed to be a bit more dirty to me. Like has been stated, if you plan on simply changing the hammer then you could run into serious ploblems. The hammer, sear, disconnector, and sear spring are all work together and at the least the first three should be replaced at the same time to ensure proper fit and function. I would recommend this kit and you find a good gunsmith who specializes in 1911s in your area to install and tune them correctly.
https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Extreme-Ultimate-Trigger-Kit-Warp-Speed-P373.aspx
On a side note, if you replace the above components you should also consider changing the trigger as well. The trigger in Taurus 1911s are made of steel and when used with a light trigger pull can cause hammer follow. I recommend the Wilson Combat Ultra light triggers.

Also as a side side note, check your ejector and make sure it is tight. On my PT1911 it came for the manufacturer extremely loose.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Doesn't the PT1911 have that funky hammer lock/safety built into it? I had a stainless PT1911 at one time and I remember that crazy-ass hammer lock...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Doesn't the PT1911 have that funky hammer lock/safety built into it? I had a stainless PT1911 at one time and I remember that crazy-ass hammer lock...
Yeah,I have a SST 1911,that lock is nuts,thank the ACLU/ABA,,,it was used previous idiot ,I mean owner had played with all the sight adjustments so I guessed that it 25yds he/she was hitting 3 to 5 feet over the targets left shoulder,,,love these amateurs,wish I knew where he traded in the next ,probably more expensive 1911,,,that he couldn't shoot,,love the after market,,,and this Taurus shoots great.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Truglo produces a set specifically for the PT1911. It's got a funky novak dovetail with a different angle. If you don't specifically want tritium, check out Williams Fire sights.
In regards to what is the best ammo? that's dependant on your specific firearm. You can pull 3 of the same exact firearms off any production line with sequential serial numbers and they will each like a different ammo. The Taurus' will generally eat anything you feed them so you should be open to use a wide variety to try. What I will recommend is if this will be a carry piece, use the same weight ammo for training and plinking as you carry for SD/PD. I personally handload for plinking and I carry 230 gr HST's for SD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with replacing the hammer sear, and disconnector at the same time. I did mine, and with a little work, and following some great videos, I have a wonderful trigger. Oh yes dump the factory trigger. Everything I bought is Wilson combat bullet proof line but they do have a value line if you need to save a few duckets. If your not comfortable doing it a good Smith will charge about $100 to set you up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts