1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local gun dealer just took in a trade on a M1a #9222. Only has 20 rds through it. I can tell by counting the brass nicks on the op rod handle. Came with 20 rd. mag, leather sling, all books and paper work still in the box. $1295 Good price for a "new" used gun? Considering new off gunbroker is $1450+ $50 for s&h and transfer fees and $50 more for a 20 rd. mag and whatever the sling costs. Told him to hold it for me with $900 down and I'll pay as I can. Good deal?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would say so. That's the "loaded" model with walnut stock and carbon barrel, right? The MSRP is $1,719. I see one on gunbroker.com right now, "20 rounds test fired," currently at $950, "reserve not met." It will probably go for at least $1,250.

I recently bought a standard grade w/walnut stock for $1,199 NIB, thought I was getting a good deal.

Figure a like-new 20-round mag. from Coles at $32-$40. The sling could be a $48 Turner Saddlery sling. I'd say you've got a good deal.

Now why would anybody shoot a few rounds out of an M1A and turn it in? I can't get enough of mine. Accurate, no recoil, and the envy of all the little black plastic rifles on the firing line!

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I would tend to agree that you got a pretty good deal.

New Standards here can be had for $1200 and Loaded for $1450.00.

But that doesn't include the sling of 20 round mag either.

Now just get you a couple tubes of Tetra Gun Grease, USGI butt stock kit and some CLP for the barrel. Stuff a few USGI cotton patch into the Multi tool to quite it. Rub the stock with a few coats of MinWax Tung oil *NOT letting it dry* Rub on and rub off. This will give it a nice satin finish and protects better than just walnut stain.

For extra mags, I see lately that there ar a number up for sale at www.ar15.com
I even see where Georgia Precission has new SA 10 rounders for $16.95.

I just have the Standard but I sure like it.
Where I am the guns are black powder, Mini 14's the then up to bolt guns (hunting style).

I was about floored when a guy broke out an SKS with an operable folder
I don't think it was preban.

So I put on quite a show breaking out 4 AR's in a number of configs including a Stoner M4 and Preban BM 16 inch Hbar with tele stock...
Then after all those questions....
The Tactical Savage 110FP in .308 with camo stock....More questions.

Ah but the best is last when I brek out my Big Beautiful Gal and wrap my hands rounds her

The range becomes quiet and the folks gather round to look.

Can't wait to get my SA M1 Garand completely rebuilt and rebarrelled in .308.....Range days will never be the same.

Your gonna love her.

Congrates

Karsten

[This message has been edited by Karsten (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe it or not, he traded it in on a Bushmaster. Damned fool! I liked my Bushy when I had it, but not that much!
Originally posted by ACP:

Now why would anybody shoot a few rounds out of an M1A and turn it in? I can't get enough of mine. Accurate, no recoil, and the envy of all the little black plastic rifles on the firing line!

[This message has been edited by ScottsGT (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karsten, I know your type! He who dies with the most toys wins! I'm trying to join this club, but the down side of it is, your still dead! But my kids will have lots of fun, maybe even grandkids if I live that long. But it sounds like your the BMOTR! (Big Man On The Range)
Forgot to mention, another gun shop in town has the same model for $1650 new. GULP!

[This message has been edited by ScottsGT (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey ScottsGT, Karsten has the right idea on the lubes and buttstock tools. Be sure to get a one-piece Dewey cleaning rod and guide, too. I have been shooting PMC 168-gr. JHP BoatTail out of mine (about $10.99 per 20) and Portugese 147-gr. FMJ from a sealed battlepack. I believe the date of manufacture on that stuff is 1987-1992.
I had heard different reports of the recoil on the M1A before I fired it. I am not quite 5'10", about 185 lbs., and in okay shape for a 40 year old. I sighted the gun in with the PMC (pretty easy to do -- windage was right on from the factory) and was surprised by the lack of recoil. Just a grunt and a clang from the op rod, then back on target. On the second day I was firing at a Speedwell bad guy/civilian in background target at 50 yards offhand. I could easily place 5-10 shots on the BG in a space I could cover with my hand. Great sights. No need for double taps. Enjoy your rifle.
ACP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts