1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I bought my first pistol today. I got a Kimber Stainless II for $787 out the door. Seemed like a decent deal.

I am going to pick it up on saturday. I plan on testing it out at the range when I get it. I just had a few questions about what needs to be done to it...

Should I clean it before firing it for the first time? Or are they typically ready right out of the box?

What kind of ammo should I use for the break in period? Or should I try several different makes to see what functions best?

Also, if I get a FTE/FTF, what is the safest way to remove the shell? I am kind of a newbie with pistols...I have fired 6 or 7, one being a 1911 but I'm not terribly comfortable with them.

Please let me know any advice or tips you may have for a first time pistol owner. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Read the directions that come with the gun. Clean it and oil it before shooting it. Kimber suggests using ball ammo during the break-in period. I shoot hollow points and break-in my pistols using them. It takes about 500 rounds to break the gun in. Don't worry about selecting a type of ammo for the gun until after the break-in period. After it is broken-in you can experiment with different loads to see what it likes best.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
145 Posts
damax452 said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I bought my first pistol today. I got a Kimber Stainless II for $787 out the door. Seemed like a decent deal.

Good for you, you should be happy!!

I am going to pick it up on saturday. I plan on testing it out at the range when I get it. I just had a few questions about what needs to be done to it...

Should I clean it before firing it for the first time? Or are they typically ready right out of the box?

Yes, clean it!!

What kind of ammo should I use for the break in period? Or should I try several different makes to see what functions best?

Something cheap, and jacketed, you'll go through a lot of rounds breaking it in!!

Also, if I get a FTE/FTF, what is the safest way to remove the shell? I am kind of a newbie with pistols...I have fired 6 or 7, one being a 1911 but I'm not terribly comfortable with them.

Take a buddy that is familer with 1911s with you to the range, and have them "show you the ropes"

Please let me know any advice or tips you may have for a first time pistol owner. Thanks in advance.
Do a search on these fourms for "Break in" you'll find tons of info to read up on between now and when you get to pick up your new pistol!!
Have fun!!
Scott
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
358 Posts
congrats on your new pistol...

I hope you will enjoy it. I always recomment Wal-Mart for ammo....I can buy 100 rds of Winchester white box .45 acp here for $19.95 straight up. Of course no tax here in NH. I haven't found ANYONE that can beat there prices on ammo...and I have searched everywhere. Of course they don't carry "odd" or "rare" calibers, so something like my 10mm Delta Elite I feed from the Sportsman's guide. I have owned 3 Kimber and all have functioned and performed perfectly...very accurate. Good luck with yours...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
wrkoster said:
I hope you will enjoy it. I always recomment Wal-Mart for ammo....I can buy 100 rds of Winchester white box .45 acp here for $19.95 straight up. Of course no tax here in NH. I haven't found ANYONE that can beat there prices on ammo...and I have searched everywhere. Of course they don't carry "odd" or "rare" calibers, so something like my 10mm Delta Elite I feed from the Sportsman's guide. I have owned 3 Kimber and all have functioned and performed perfectly...very accurate. Good luck with yours...
Must be nice. Walmart stopped carrying guns & ammo here after Katrina.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Congrats,dude! I also just bought a Stainless II last Monday,but will have to wait for it to get the dealer and then wait 10 days since I am in CA. I paid $759 not including tax and etc. You got a good deal then if $787 out the door. Can I ask how much the gun itself was and where did you get it from? Of course, CA prices will always be a little higher. All good though. I can't wait to get it!

Do you have any plans for mods to it? Let me know how it shoots when you get it. I am also new to the 1911 world....this will be my first centerfire handgun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Damax452:

Welcom to the forum. Good luck, and good shootin'!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OutlawDon said:
Congrats,dude! I also just bought a Stainless II last Monday,but will have to wait for it to get the dealer and then wait 10 days since I am in CA. I paid $759 not including tax and etc. You got a good deal then if $787 out the door. Can I ask how much the gun itself was and where did you get it from? Of course, CA prices will always be a little higher. All good though. I can't wait to get it!

Do you have any plans for mods to it? Let me know how it shoots when you get it. I am also new to the 1911 world....this will be my first centerfire handgun.
Hey OutlawDon, the gun itself was $740. I got it from a local place (I'm in Orlando, FL) called Universal Weapons. They were at the gun show this weekend.

I will probably add night sights and an ambidextrous safety (I'm left handed). I may also get some nice aftermarket grips to add some personality. I don't see a need for any other upgrades. Kimbers are supposed to be great out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Damax452

Agreed! Clean and lube it after each use. Not so much because you have to do a detailed cleaning after each session, but consider this "getting to know your 1911 time" You will enjoy cleaning it (maybe I'm weird), but you gain a better understanding of how everything fits together and operates.

I also agree you shouldn't need to do a $400 reliability job or a $600 accuracy job on a $800 weapon. Treat it right and get to know it then you can think about doing trigger work, changing hammers, etc.

Grips are always a fun thing to play with. Like you said you can sort of personalize your pistol without a huge expense. Also spend the money and get some good magazines (the kimbers are POS). Try wilson combat or CM.

Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hi,
I'm new here as well and its my first post. I bought a Kimber Warrior last saturday for $950.00. It was fairly dirty I assume from test firing at the factory. Anyway I'm pleased with it so far, the night sights are pretty damn awesome. With hunting season starting soon here, I'm quite positive that it will be blooded with more then just a snake and a cat (not trying to offend you animal lovers out there, but it was funny :cool: )

Rusty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Congratulations! Not many people get to buy a Kimber as their first handgun. And don't get discouraged if you have a few failures to feed (FTF) or failures to eject (FTE) during the break in, which might take a few more than the 500 rounds specified in the owners manual. Mine took about 750 rounds and one trip back to Kimber, but now it works flawlessly with any ammo I put in it, and is the most accurate gun I have ever owned.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top