1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have a stainless Mil-spec? I was wondering about availabiliity, and whether anyone had experience with them. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently acquired a like new SS Mil-Spec in a gun trade. I've changed the finish to a brushed look, added some grips and hex screws I had in the parts box, blacked out the white dots and added an EGW drop-in bushing. I'll add a King's checkered hammer and Ed Brown thumb extended safety and call it good.

I now have about 500 rounds through it and I'm very pleased. The trigger still has some creep -- I'll have the gunsmith stone the sear when the hammer and thumb safety are replaced. Accuracy is very good and the tendency to throw the first round (hand cycled) out of the group seems to be going away as the round count climbs. It will put the remaining rounds in one big hole. Not as accurate as my SA's with Bar-Sto and Kart barrels, but plenty good for shooting inside 25 yars. Reliability has been almost 100% with 10 different mags and an assortment of factory and hand loads.

I traded straight across using a gun I had previously acquired for $300. I'll put $55 in the new hammer and thumb safety and another $40 to install them and smooth the trigger. At $400 invested, I'm feeling very good about the transaction.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have 2 of them that I aquired recently. Only 100 rounds through each, but those went without a hitch. Shot Fiocchi, American Eagle, PMC, and PMP - all hardball.

The only problem I had was when I first got them and detail stripped the first one to clear out the 2 quarts of oil it was packed in, I melted the grips with brake clean... Oops :)

When I ordered them, the distributor had something like 27 of them in stock. Not hard to find at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finish

Thanks for the responses. It's difficult to tell looking at the photo on SA's website whether the stainless finish is a " brushed", glossy, or other? How would you describe the finish? I'm glad to hear they're available.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The flat surfaces are shiny - I guess it looks brushed, but it is a lot shinier than the brushed finish on a Zippo... Like they stopped just short of polishing it all out.

Rounded surfaces are matte stainless... I would guess bead blasted... and just look gray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts