1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Rock Island 1911 GI and just did my first trigger job via youtube!! Well, after almost having a heart attack thinking I was going to mess it up... its at 2.6lbs with a VERY crisp break!!! Is that to light to be safe in a holster, condition 1???

·
Registered
815 Posts
Light trigger

Congratulations on the first trigger job. As far as 2.6lb for condition 1 cary, if you have to ask, then its probably to light....or for any of the other cary method , this rule still applies

Best

-Robert

·
Super Moderator
14,841 Posts
Is that to light to be safe in a holster, condition 1???
That is not too light for Condition One holster carry. It may, however, be too light for you to actually shoot appropriately in a stress condition, unless you have thousands of draws & presentations under your belt, with a light-triggered 1911.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is not too light for Condition One holster carry. It may, however, be too light for you to actually shoot appropriately in a stress condition, unless you have thousands of draws & presentations under your belt, with a light-triggered 1911.
I do in fact have several years experience with 1911's and drawing/carrying, so I think it will be ok... it feels comfortable to me so far!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
For a game gun? You're just above the minimum for some venues.

For carry, why not a 4.0 trigger pull with a crisp break?

You build in a margin of safety and you're within the range of many factory trigger pulls.

The best defense attorney $800 an hour.

You asked.........

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I do in fact have several years experience with 1911's and drawing/carrying, so I think it will be ok... it feels comfortable to me so far!
If you knew what you were talking about you would not have had to ask. :)

3's and under seem great until you get into a time/pressure situation, then they start going off before you were ready.

It isn't like a 4-pound trigger is hard to pull! It just seems that way when you are 20 rounds into trying to be super-accurate. Listen to Fitch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input, I can see why many people prefer a 4lb trigger and after rechecking mine... it actually breaks at 2.85lbs

It feels crisp and heavy enough for safe carry, I will be at the range this weekend so I will have a chance to test it out under better circumstances.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
One of the best "beginner" or "basic" tutorials is the "Weigand 2.5 trigger pull"! There is just too much junk on "youtube".

Google: "Weigand 2.5 trigger pull, Brownell's" It also lists tools and part numbers.

For a safe and sane 3.5-4.0# trigger pull add tension to the sear spring.

All the best,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Questions/problems like this really irk me. Why not just leave well enough alone? If you fook with with yer pistol you will have problems! Buy a pistol that fits you in all ways and leave it alone, especiously if you carry it. Yeah, different grips OK, but messing with trigger not OK. You want a reliable gun free of issues when you caary it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Questions/problems like this really irk me. Why not just leave well enough alone? If you fook with with yer pistol you will have problems! Buy a pistol that fits you in all ways and leave it alone, especiously if you carry it. Yeah, different grips OK, but messing with trigger not OK. You want a reliable gun free of issues when you caary it.
That is undoubtedly good advice for a lot of people, but for me the answer was I did not have access to guns "that fit me in all ways" and grew tired of waiting for 'smiths to get around to my gun. It is now completely different than it was a few years ago, when only the best 'smiths had the knowledge. If you watch ALL the YouTubes (and there are several excellent ones, including a great one by a novice -- you learn right along with him) and are careful and patient you can learn how to safely do a trigger job on a 1911. It's real neat once you are there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I bought a Rock Island 1911 GI and just did my first trigger job via youtube!! Well, after almost having a heart attack thinking I was going to mess it up... its at 2.6lbs with a VERY crisp break!!! Is that to light to be safe in a holster, condition 1???
have you taken it to the range yet? How'd it go?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I guess it's a good thing it's not your gun then. It obviously was not well enough for him, and now it is. So a kudos would be more appropriate here.

I'm sure he knows to keep the thing pointed in a safe direction at all times.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the best "beginner" or "basic" tutorials is the "Weigand 2.5 trigger pull"! There is just too much junk on "youtube".

Google: "Weigand 2.5 trigger pull, Brownell's" It also lists tools and part numbers.

For a safe and sane 3.5-4.0# trigger pull add tension to the sear spring.

All the best,
I like this one too, just went with the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx_4g8MOKHg cause it mirrors the way my friend does them as well... but the Weigand method is good too!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest, I feel as if its safer and more comfortable now than it was out of the box... I know some people are dumb and will "fook" up their guns but Im no idiot. Thanks for the input, Ill keep it in consideration of course! ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess it's a good thing it's not your gun then. It obviously was not well enough for him, and now it is. So a kudos would be more appropriate here.

I'm sure he knows to keep the thing pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Thanks, and you hit the nail right on the head... firearm rules are much more important than the firearm itself!!! A safe firearm is one that sits in the hands of a trained operator!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts