1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a CD feild model an was wondering what mods should be done to it? I know the
Extractors and firing pin stops on these guns should replaced. Can you guys recommend a certain brand?

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
John Paul, I suppose that one of the most frequently asked questions is "I just bought a new gun, what should I change, or modify?"

The answer you will receive from most of us will be, " Go out and shoot the hell out of the gun, and stop worrying about what somebody else said about the gun"

We've had had more warnings about aledged problems with guns, and new owners rush out and replace perfectly good parts. My favorite is the polymer mainspring housing on a Kimber...

I have replaced the firing pin stop on two Charles Daly 1911s, but that doesn't mean that current production CDs have bad firing pin stops.

Shoot the hell out of your Charles Daly...If you have any problems, call KBI or go see a good gunsmith!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have changed the stock recoil spring to a Wilson Combat 18.5# and I took the plastic grips off and put on a set of rubber Hogue's. This gun is one sweet shooter. As a matter of fact the CD FS Model is my CCW.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also use my newest CD as my carry gun. I have changed out:

EGW-firing pin stop, extractor,full length guide rod, heavy barrel bushing,sear spring

Chip McCormick-hammer, sear, trigger

Hogue-wrap around finger groove rubber grips

I now have a very reliable, very accurate, very comfortable, and damn good looking Charles Daly. My Custom Kimber is still, by far, my favorite 1911, but the CD is great!

HOWEVER, I would still shoot the hell out of a new CD for at least 500 rounds before changing out anything...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is a two-tone standard model and I've changed the following:
1. Plastic grips with double diamond wood grips
2. extractor with Caspian extractor
3. rear sight with Bomar
4. extended slide stop with Ed Brown (standard)
5. recoil sprting with Wolff 16.5 lbs variable
Most of these modifications are purely for aesthetic purpose except for the extractor
and the recoil spring. With the latter two I now have a CD that is very reliable and accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts