1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty excited! Just bought an Armscor with Ambi-saftey, beavertail and commander type hammer for $300 FTF. Seller said he has only 200 rounds through it with no problems, said he bought it new 7 months ago and it never got much range time. I was considering getting a RIA and adding and ambi-safety (I'm left handed), but this Armscor had all the features I wanted at the same price as a new RIA. I'm going to add a magwell, ambi-mag release and some 10 round mags and shoot it in 3-gun HeMan class.

This is my first 1911 and I think it will be a good gun to learn on. Its cheap enough that I don't have to worry about messing it up.

Question...the gun originally came with a full length guide rod, but the former owner swapped it out for a shorter one. Said it was a pain to strip. Will this still be reliable or should I put the full length one back in?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it works don't fix it!

Take it to the range and try it out. If it works don't fix it. It's not even broke in yet so don't be to quick to judge it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
I'm pretty excited! Just bought an Armscor with Ambi-saftey, beavertail and commander type hammer for $300 FTF. Seller said he has only 200 rounds through it with no problems, said he bought it new 7 months ago and it never got much range time. I was considering getting a RIA and adding and ambi-safety (I'm left handed), but this Armscor had all the features I wanted at the same price as a new RIA. I'm going to add a magwell, ambi-mag release and some 10 round mags and shoot it in 3-gun HeMan class.

This is my first 1911 and I think it will be a good gun to learn on. Its cheap enough that I don't have to worry about messing it up.

Question...the gun originally came with a full length guide rod, but the former owner swapped it out for a shorter one. Said it was a pain to strip. Will this still be reliable or should I put the full length one back in?

Thanks!

Andy

Andy,

I too have one of these in my battery! Looks much better than my SAM. Work very well for my money. Didn't change anything except for the recoil and firing pin spring. Oh yeah the magazines that came with it was number one! Novaks.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rimfire said:
Andy,

I too have one of these in my battery! Looks much better than my SAM. Work very well for my money. Didn't change anything except for the recoil and firing pin spring. Oh yeah the magazines that came with it was number one! Novaks.

rimfire,22
Took the gun out to the range this morning, it worked great! More accurate than I thought it would be. Why are you guys changing out the recoil spring? Is there a problem with the OEM one or are you tuning it to your loads? I'd like to come up with some "minimum power" reduced reloads, would I need to change the recoil spring out with a lighter weight? What would you recommend I start with? Somebody recommended I start with the stock spring and download progressively until I start getting malfunctions, then bump up the charge a little. Should I start out with my stock spring or should I go ahead and get a Wolff spring before I start experimenting with loads?

Something that I noticed with my Armscor, it has a ramped barrel and an external extractor. The gun seems to work fine so I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. I know traditional Mil-spec barrels don't have ramps and they have internal extractors.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Don't fall into the trap

Ditto! If there's nothing wrong with it, don't fix it.

I use 15# ISMI recoil spring for all my light loads.
4.6gr of Bullseye under a 200gr SWC is very accurate in my guns.
Just a note, a sanctioned 3-gun match requires a major power factor loads. The load above will not make major PF.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
Took the gun out to the range this morning, it worked great! More accurate than I thought it would be. Why are you guys changing out the recoil spring? Is there a problem with the OEM one or are you tuning it to your loads? I'd like to come up with some "minimum power" reduced reloads, would I need to change the recoil spring out with a lighter weight? What would you recommend I start with? Somebody recommended I start with the stock spring and download progressively until I start getting malfunctions, then bump up the charge a little. Should I start out with my stock spring or should I go ahead and get a Wolff spring before I start experimenting with loads?

Something that I noticed with my Armscor, it has a ramped barrel and an external extractor. The gun seems to work fine so I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. I know traditional Mil-spec barrels don't have ramps and they have internal extractors.

Arnisandyz,

I change my spring out cuz I've found them to be a little weak in power. Besides here in California they have to pass some form of safety inspection/test so the firing pin springs are especially heavy. On that I swap out for a lower power version so the pin will strike the primer harder for a more positive ignition. The recoil spring I like to use a 17.5 pound instead of the typical 16.0 pound. It'll give the slide a slightly more snap when it's returning into battery. It also helps in feeding also.

Your Armscor is of the newer versios that have the external extractors and ramped barrels. No big deal. That's the way they make em now.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info.

Here is an update...I've probably put 600 rounds since getting this Armscor, and I've had "0" failures! Nedless to stay, I'm leaving the recoil springs and guiderods alone for now.

I've added a Wilson Magwell, S&C ambi-mag release, and Ergo XT grips along with some Chip McCorrmick Mags (I'll post some pics soon). I also drilled small holes in the sights and filled it with white and flourescent orange paint which came out really well.

I feel confident enough now to shoot it in IDPA this weekend and IPSC 3-gun the following weekend.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I changed the recoil spring on my RIA because after about 3000 rounds the brass started flying everywhere. Replaced it, and once again I find all my empty brass about 3' back and 3-4' right same as when new.

--wally.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wally,
Try checking the ejector. That will cause the brass to fly everyware! I will usually keep mine squared off! But will change the angle ( top to bottom) Depending on where the brass is landing! Frankly for a defensive pistol, As long as it get the Hell out of the way! Who Cares?!
Ivan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spirit1911 said:
quick qeustion what modle was it ??

cuase i just got an fs stainless just wondering if you have one similar to it ?

Not sure of the model number, I bought it from a private party. Here is a picture that the seller gave me (it looks a little different now). He added the front strap piece (its not factory).

·
Registered
22 Posts

it almost looks like the same one if it was factory

except mine has a gi trigger witch the previus owner put in

is that blued or stainless?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They look similar, noticed your has an internal extractor though. I hate the stock trigger with the rectangular cutouts. Mine is blued. Stainless looks nice!

·
Registered
954 Posts
blackdragon said:
Wally,
Try checking the ejector. That will cause the brass to fly everyware! I will usually keep mine squared off! But will change the angle ( top to bottom) Depending on where the brass is landing! Frankly for a defensive pistol, As long as it get the Hell out of the way! Who Cares?!
Ivan
Agreed, I failed to mention that I had re-tensioned the extractor after the previous session and when it made practically no difference I replaced the recoil spring which did the trick. My RIA is a range gun so consistent ejection that is not too violent is a very nice feature indeed. My RIA and Armscor45 both had very consistant ejection out of the box. It wasn't so much that the direction of ejection had changed, just that the empties started going a good bit farther to where the grass is high enough to make for lots of hard to find brass.

--wally.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
Not sure of the model number, I bought it from a private party. Here is a picture that the seller gave me (it looks a little different now). He added the front strap piece (its not factory).

Model?
That's an Armscor 'Practical' 1911 FSB (Fullsize Blued).
It shouldn't come with an FLGR, AFAIK.
I'm glad mine follows the older Armscor spec: with an internal extractor.

You've got a good blaster there, so congratulations!
:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
slice said:
i'm new in this site and don't know how to post a new topic.btw, who makes armscor?
Its a Philippine based company.
To make a new topic, click on "new thread" on the main page.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts