1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, let me start by saying I'm fairly new to 1911's, but not firearms. I recently purchased a Randall A131 from my Great Aunt that used to belong to my Great Uncle before he passed. Due to his dementia I don't have much information on this other than it was purchased in California in 1985. Came with original box, instructions, sales receipt, 3 Randall mags, 2 generic mags, and an assortment of ammunition. It seems to have FTF with some Winchester Super Match 185g. rounds that it came with, I haven't had a chance to shoot the lead ball ammo (range wouldn't allow), but I'm hoping the trouble was just because of the non-throated barrel.

I don't want to do a lot of modifications, it already seems fairly accurate, just some things to make it reliable. I am thinking drop-in throated barrel and spring kit. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

I've also noted that the pistol will still fire if the GS is not being squeezed, does anyone know what could cause this? My Uncle used to work at several gun shops and am wondering if he disabled it for some reason?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There was a time when gunsmiths would disable the grip safety, usually pinning them back as well. Today the lawyers would go nuts.

I don't know how much work I would do on the gun. I would first see if the gun has any value to a Randall collector. Keep the parts you replace. I see that less than 10,000 were made.

I saw one or two when the company was around, but bought Colt rather than Randall because I was looking for a carry gun and the stainless was a bit too bright and the poly finishes weren't around back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts